UE4 previous versions - Low FPS with version 4.1

Got the same exact issue migrating from 4.0.2 to 4.1 on my Surface 2 Pro.
It killed the performance from 20FPS (4.0.2) down to 1-3FPS (4.1)
I’m hoping EPIC will investigate this issue, despite the fact that it is a with Intel HD4400.
It was useful for me to be able to run UE4 in my for some learning and experiment.
It ran fine on my desktop with Radeon HD6970 obviously.

I saw this on the changelist:
New: Added feature to choose graphics adapter (r.GraphicsAdapter) or let the system do this automatically
By default, this favors non-integrated graphics card (at the moment we check for “Intel” in the adapter name).

I hope it doesn’t mean it disable GPU completely when it detect Intel HD graphic card and force to use CPU XD
I’m going to try messing around with that function in console, once I installed 4.1 again (I’ve uninstalled it earlier).

I just found something that might be the culprit.
It seems like it’s using a software D3D renderer instead of the Intel HD. Possibly caused by the rules from the 4.1 changelist that prefer anything other than “Intel” in the adapter name.
Anybody has any idea how to change this?
r.GraphicsAdapter 0 / 1 / -1 didn’t do anything for me :frowning:

Just 1 Question, why are you guys trying to run the a demanding engine on integrated graphics?

because UE work in that system?

the problem its some bug, the lost in performance are with integrated graphics and non-integrated.

Ah isn’t it obvious why?

we want to use the technology and we don’t have 1000 bucks laying around to get a pc upgrade.

For me it’s the fact that I can write and test code without having to sit at my computer, I work better when I work in different places. The performance wasn’t ideal, but it was playable before the update, enough to test if something actually worked.

I did it for both engine versions, I used the same bp third person template in both.

in 4.0.2 yes in 4.1 it makes no difference but as 4.1 wont use the dedicated GPU I didn’t think it would make any noticeable difference.

@crash, I am not trying to use integrated graphics but 4.1 wont run on my dedicated GPU, although as the other people were able to run UE4 on integrated graphics I think that 4.1 should still work as well as 4.0.2 did on there machines, so I see why they are posting.

Touche’ my fellow developers, hope your problems get sorted out soon as possible :slight_smile:

I have less then 30% cpu load at play.
I have 4770k
gtx780
and latest drivers
didn noticet diference.

i7 3770, Window 7, 2x GTX 660ti with latest WHQL driver (I realize SLI doesn’t help, unfortunately).

I didn’t notice a slow down in the editor, but running full screen “Play” at 1920x1080, I see about 30% decrease in frame rate in 4.1 compared to 4.0.2 with some of the Marketplace demos I tried. There’s noticeable stutter as well while moving the player around that felt much worse than 4.0.2.

I won’t have more time until the weekend, but I’ll post some comparison stats when I can.

EDIT: follow up testing and results.

Following up on my post. I’ve done some testing with “Realistic Rendering” and “Effects Cave”.

• First of all, there’s no noticeable frame rate difference for me between 4.0.2 and 4.1 when running the packaged binary in full screen at monitor resolution.
  • Like wise, from the Editor, “Play” -> “Standalone Game” in full screen at monitor resolution, 4.0.2 and 4.1 perform essentially the same.

“Play” -> “Selected Viewport” and taking it full screen (F11, Shift-F11) is where I originally saw the problem, and the frame rate drop is still there: about 65 fps in 4.0.2 vs 40 in 4.1 for “Realistic Rendering”. About 33 vs 15 in “Effects Cave”. But exiting to editor and going back to “Play” in “Selected Viewport” restores the higher frame rate. So, it’s just a quirk and not a serious problem for me.

Hopefully this is resolved quickly.

it just keeps getting weirder, I started this thread thinking it was just my GPU but it seems there is now 2 problems, 1: in my case 4.1 wont use the dedicated GPU, 2: graphics cards that could run UE4 fine now struggle or have had a drop in FPS.

I wonder if 4.1 is running worse on all graphics cards (integrated/mobile/desktop) or if its only some, a drop in FPS on a desktop wouldn’t be as noticeable so some people might not have realised.

maybe a poll would shed some light on the situation, something like “does 4.1 run worse then 4.0.2 on your machine” with just yes/no options.

Well it dropped fps on my sytem by 8… From 120 to 112fps running the shooter demo in editor.
Nothing dramatic like this.

OMG im in drama too. Everything was normal in 4.0.2, but recently downloaded 4.1 drops editor fps to 3-5. So sad((

According to logs my videocard AMD Radeon HD 8670M is not detected properly, and otner (switchable intel hd graphics 4000) not choosen by engine.

What to do in this case?

Thanks RinDreamX, that looks like a good lead! Here’s a suggestion: modify your engine INI (MyProject\Config\DefaultEngine.ini) and add the following to the [SystemSettings] section:

r.GraphicsAdapter=-2

If that doesn’t work, try:

r.GraphicsAdapter=0

Let me know if that fixes your problem. After you’ve given this a try, please head over here on AnswerHub and upload your log file for further investigation.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

SUPER!!! That totally fixed the problem :slight_smile:
My test level FPS up from 1-3FPS to 70FPS on Low Quality and 20FPS on Epic Quality.
Just like the old UE4.0.2
Big thanks.

MyProject\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

[SystemSettings]
r.GraphicAdapter=-2

Here’s the snipped on the log after the changes:
LogD3D11RHI: Found D3D11 adapter 0: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Feature Level 11_0)
LogD3D11RHI: Adapter has 0MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 1792MB of shared system memory
LogD3D11RHI: Found D3D11 adapter 1: Microsoft Basic Render Driver (Feature Level 11_0)
LogD3D11RHI: Adapter has 0MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 256MB of shared system memory
LogD3D11RHI: Chosen D3D11 Adapter Id = 0

i will try this later

My log its fine i think

LogD3D11RHI: Found D3D11 adapter 0: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Feature Level 11_0)
LogD3D11RHI: Adapter has 1008MB of dedicated video memory, 0MB of dedicated system memory, and 1791MB of shared system memory
LogD3D11RHI: Chosen D3D11 Adapter Id = 0

Thanks RinDreamX and knack for giving it a go, we’ll work on getting an engine-wide fix out for this issue!

I wish my issue was as easy to fix.