UE4 or UE5 to develop on Nintendo Switch? Which is better?

Hello !

I’m a student at a Game Design school, and for a project we have to make a video game on the Nintendo Switch devkit we have at our disposal.

Personally, I’ve been working on Unreal Engine 5.2 for a while now, and even though I know that Lumen doesn’t run on Nintendo Switch, the UE5 interface is much nicer to me, and I’m thinking that since UE5 is ultimately just an update of UE4, everything UE4 does could be done with UE5 on Nintendo Switch, right?

I’ve tried looking around on the unreal forum, reddit, youtube and even twitter, and I have to admit I haven’t found much about using UE5 on Switch.

Even if you’ve never developed on Switch, do you think that making a game on UE5 is a better idea for a Switch game than staying on UE4? Are there any new tools/features/optimisations on UE5 that would be a significant help for development on Switch? Or does it honestly change nothing compared to UE4? Or is it even worse if UE5 runs worse than UE4 on Switch, with more errors and bugs in the builds?

Thanks in advance! And if you’ve already worked on Nintendo Switch with Unreal (4 or 5), any tips are welcome!