UE4 Make GAME advice for "NOOBS"!

Hello Folks!..
I am still new to UE4 and game making and like any beginner, like to know of any good advice on making games!..

Soo please tell what is the golden rules of game makinng???..

Or any other good advice on the subject! Like where to start in doing a game? “imagine I am clueless!!!” :slight_smile:

And do and dont do that!?

Thanks! Looking foward to know meny of the problems that Pros and folks had and how to overcome them! :slight_smile:

-When you start with game development, always start on a low level, dont start with a really big game like an open world :slight_smile:
-always keep everything clean/use a good folder structure

I don’t remember the exact percent’s but good game dev do not start with assets or code/blueprint. It was something like 70% of your time should be on paper. Then the last 30% is actually making the game into beta stages. Its said if you find your self starring and a blinking curser thinking what do I do next… you need to go back to the first part.

The pen and paper stage you think of all the ideas and run though them … almost like make a mock up board game and think how the flow should work … basic story ect. Then write down things you want to include like main charter / bosses / game systems like skill trees / different levels all that stuff… once you have a better idea of what you want in your game then start getting assets and making the game

Doing that will save you tons of time and possibly money if your paying people or buying assets. Maybe you will realize a boss or system just wont be good in your game after you do a mock play through on paper.

And adding on to what said. Doing what I said will help you realize the scope of what you want to make… how big the project is … and knowing a basic layout of what you want / need from the start will help keep the project well structured

A little bit of advice if you choose to start up a game dev team: Put yourself in the shoes of each team role when telling them what to do, in things like game design docs. Each one of the teams/clients I have worked for as a programmer will tell me to do something, but I end up asking them tons of questions, and they always say ‘Wow, I never thought about that’.

google the second you get stuck with a programming problem/question

adapt your game ideas to your skills in programming with UE4 (don’t be a beginner who wants to make an MMO their first project)

actually finish the game

Thanks Folks!!!

Thanks to:

• mBrock
  • Killian22

For there feedback and advice for us NOOBs!!! :smiley:

[]
adapt your game ideas to your skills in programming with UE4
[/]

Top notch advice, you can broaden to all skills.

Here are some very basic questions you should ask yourself.

How long will the project take?
How much time do i have?
Can i handle the pressure?
What when the game is finished?
Copyright?
Whos in charge?
Whats with support for the finished game?
Do i make a part 2?
How much is it worth?
What will it cost?
What do i want to achieve?

Make Pong. Then Tetris… Then Maze…

[=;406918]
-When you start with game development, always start on a low level, dont start with a really big game like an open world :slight_smile:
-always keep everything clean/use a good folder structure
[/]

Not only good folder structure but a decent naming convention as well (allot easier when doing searches for specific resources).

Take what others have done, this means all the resources that are available to download and also the starting content - rip it apart, change things and see how it affects other things - learn by doing. Want do something specific? Answer hub, forum search and youtube are great resources when starting out and the most common things are answered there.

As others have said, start VERY simple - don’t overreach, always keep everything you do as you never know when you need to go back over something you did weeks ago, even on another simple project - can save hours. My other tip is just because they upgrade the engine doesn’t mean you need to upgrade/update your project to the newer engine version unless there is a game breaking bug that is fixed or you are going to use some of the ‘new features’ in said update.

Start with a Game Design Document, it’s the most important thing, for me it is “the one” thing, you can find GDD guides on the internet or good books (like this one from Scott Rogers: ://www.amazon/Level-Guide-Great-Video-Design/dp/1118877160 , just ignore the author when he tries to convince you that the game should be “easy”, forgetting the success of Souls games, read it as “fair”).

In addition to what everyone else already said: Use a version control system. Doesn’t really matter if it’s Git (you could use GitHub or Bitbucket for example) or another system. It’s just important to know that whenever you mess up you can revert your changes very easily. Takes away the fear of doing something wrong.

[=Ghiest;408094]
Not only good folder structure but a decent naming convention as well (allot easier when doing searches for specific resources).

[/]

Yep, that too -> here is a good wiki page about that: https://wiki.unrealengine/Assets_Naming_Convention :slight_smile:

[=BrUnO XaVIeR;408091]
Make Pong. Then Tetris… Then Maze…
[/]

This.

With my students I start with a really simple Quick Time Event (press a button at the right time). Later we make Pong, then Asteroids. UE4 blueprints are great for beginners. I’d suggest to watch the “Blueprint Essentials” playlist on the Unreal Engine youtube channel. Watch it several times.

Paste n´Pçay!

Thanks to:

• Kanizitas
  • BrUnO Xavier
  • Ghiest
  • BardicKnowledge
  • Codevine
  • swagentrotz

For the experience knowledge!

** BTW (by the way) does someone know of good “Paste n´Play” stuff on the Unreal Marketplace ready to use in the UE4 editor (for NOOBs)? **

My only advice is… Don’t quit.

I see that several people have suggested here to make a plan for the game beforehand, be it on paper and/or GDD. This is something where I disagree. You’d need to know quite a lot about game dev to be able to plan that much ahead. Your first game is not likely to be a very original game nor it should be, so having a detailed plan doesn’t necessarily help you much here. On the contrary it may result you overthinking the problems as you don’t know at that stage what is easy and what isn’t. That being said, it’s always good to make notes when you try to figure out things (pen & paper is great for this purpose), I just wouldn’t dig that deep into game design side for the first game projects.

My advice would be - like many have posted here already - to make something simple first and start expanding your skills after that. It’s a lot easier to see how all things come together after you get your first simple pieces working right.

Another thing I’d like to say is to always break your problems into smaller pieces. If you try to solve everything at once, you may feel clueless where to even begin with. So split your complex tasks into smaller manageable tasks (also at code level) and you’ll see that not even biggest problems are that difficult when you can solve them piece by piece.

if you encounter some problems download a sample project which you think has the solution and do a reverse engineering on that part which you think has the solution. :wink: by doing so you might not only solve your problems but also at the same time you will learn something new :slight_smile:

Thanks Folks

Thanks to:

• sarfios
  • 0lento
  • Crazy Little Beast

Remember to tell us if Unreal Marketplace has some “Paste n´Play” stuff ?

[=;410664]
Thanks to:

• sarfios
  • 0lento
  • Crazy Little Beast

Remember to tell us if Unreal Marketplace has some “Paste n´Play” stuff ?
[/]

What exactly do you mean by “Paste n Play”? If there is one optimal thing that you would want from the marketplace, what would it be?