UE4 is ideal for beginners?

Hi, guys!

I’m just a developer that works on PHP, Ruby on Rails and C# web applications. In other words, I have no experience with design in general or game programming.

Based on these circumstances, should I subscribe UE4 to go? I mean, it’s possible even for a guy like me to create something with the engine?

Yes, I know, if I want to create “the next big thing” I’ll need a very good and prepared team, but is not utopian for me to think in creating games?

And the easiest software to creating 3D designs is really Blender?

Thanks in advance.

It’s always pretty hard to begin with game development, regardless of which engine you are using. But when you have enough time and a strong will you can do everything :slight_smile:

I also made my first step with the Unreal Engine and for me it was pretty easy, so yes, I think that the Unreal Engine is good for beginners ^^

Nope, blender isnt the easiest software to begin, because in my opinion every 3d program (3d , maya, blender,…) is hard to use (especially when you are a beginner, but after some time it’s pretty easy ^^

Nothing is “easy” learning everything takes time and a lot of practice, I say Blender is great due too it being free and have a lot of tutorials out there. So you can create your items in the game with that and then too move the around and create cool stuff you would need too learn blueprint Visual Coding means you would need to at least know the basics of coding.

Everyone can create, everyone is a artist in some shape or form. You can do it I can do it, its all down too how hard you work and want it.

.Meathead

I already touched Maya before. I remember some shortcuts and a few concepts of meshing and modeling. I can handle myself. I was asking that because I thought to create advanced things I could make faster with Blender, but if its not easier, then nevermind.

Now, talking about game development. I think I have the most important thing: willpower. With willpower we can make time. Can you say what’s the best/right step to start with game development?

Thanks in advance and for now.

Cheers!

The best step, I would say start doing it right now! What do you want too start with do you want to learn the engine first or learn how to build models :slight_smile: for UT4. I started with learning how to build my own 3d models then moved too UT back in the day :slight_smile: with the coding side of things get a beginners book for C# learn the basics and you understand BluePrint a lot more along with that check the youtube videos for UT https:///playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

Hope this helps!

I would recommend you to start with building small levels with the existing meshes -> during this building process, you will get a “feeling” for the engine :slight_smile:

IMHO the best thing you can do is subscribe somewhere like 3DMotive (or Digital Tutors) for a month or two, become active here and the Polycount Forums, and continue learning Maya.

I really do recommend 3DMotive though, I have learned so much there and unlike most other training subscriptions almost all their content relates to game development. Of course, a lot of that stuff focuses on UDK, so I suppose some of their training will be antiquated from this point on. I’m sure we’ll see plenty of UE4 training start to trickle in pretty quickly though.

Ok guys, I feel I’m going to the right direction. As I said, I work on C# web applications — I have good knowledge about programming; in other words, I’m a web programmer! LOL

But, what is BluePrint?

And 3DMotive… the tutorials have subtitles? I’m not a native speaker.

Blueprint is a visual Unrealscript system so easy to work with that even me, who has no programming experience, can make a basic game with it. It’s probably the best place to start with unless you’re comfortable with C++.

I… think 3DMotive has subtitles, but don’t quote me on that, not all of them might, but I remember seeing subs on a few of their vids.

Awesome, glad you’re going to give game development a try! Everyone starts with no experience at some point :). I originally started just modding games and fooling around at home in my spare time and definitely would have loved to have been able to play around with full game engines back then! As others have suggested, I always tell people the best idea is to just jump right in, experiment, and see what happens.

As for UE4, we’re trying really hard to make getting started as a new user as easy as possible, with tutorials, sample content, videos, etc. The first time you step into making games (or using new software), there’s always a learning curve and so many new things to pick up, but with practice you’ll get the hang of it. The really great thing is there is plenty of help available all the time. Looking at this forum as an example, it only launched this week and it’s already sprouting an awesome, helpful community that is producing tutorials and helpful tips left-and-right!

If you already know C# and programming basics well, I don’t think you’ll have a super hard time transitioning to C++ in time. Each time you learn a new language, I find it becomes a bit easier to pick up another one :D. Anyway, we’d definitely be interested in knowing how your experience turns out as you learn from scratch! If there are certain areas that are especially confusing or you think are actually particularly helpful and you let us know, it’ll help us make it easier for other new users in the future!

Hi, Billy!

I’m (very) proud to talking with someone important in the gaming scenario! Nice to meet you, guy.

I have to say that I’m very excited with all of this and I can explain why.

Firstly, the low price is the biggest opportunity that I ever seen. Seriously, is something utopian. I can’t imagine how something so powerful can be so accessible, even for me as brazilian (yes, we suffer with high taxes and everything here is expensive).

Secondly, it’s easy to see how you all from Epic Games are taking everything right to the edge. The UE4 itself is a preview of perfectness. Everything on it is easy and go smoothly.

Thirdly, is not the first time that I saw someone from official staff talking here, on the forums. This really make (all) the difference! Fellas from Epic Games are very participative and this encourages us to keep going — we have not just a company that we can trust in, but there are humans behind it whose we can count on.

Now, talking about the topic’s business. The first part of my life as programmer I worked on PHP web applications. Was a hard start but I’m still alive (lol). Then, I migrated to Microsoft and got MTA’s certification. The result? I left PHP behind.

The time passes once again and I was called to work on a company that can’t use Microsoft technologies and I really didn’t wanted to work with PHP. And what was the solution? Ruby (on Rails)!

I work with it everyday and today I consider myself someone who can do awesome things without “third-party hands”. I mean, I’m not an expert, but I can handle myself very well.

Ok, why am I telling my life’s history? I have to admit: the first step is the hardest. Is hard to take the concepts; is hard to take the right way; but with some effort we can reach there. So… YES! We can learn a new programming language as C++! Let’s do this!

I wanted to started with games a long time ago, but I never known what’s the first step and now everything sounds so clarified for me — and this is the result of this strong and fast community. We all united can create the next big things.

How inspring my text is, right? Yes, I’m a little excited. It’s strange when you know that the power to create games is a reality and you’re one step close of it.

By the bye, thank you for this opportunity. Keep doing the good work and let’s create the future; better, together. =)

(Finally, seriously, I always had curiosity to know how a professional game developer started in this scenario. Can you contribute with the community sharing a little of your history? (Yes, I’m abusing of your good patience, but, that’s not bad at all, c’mon.)))

Nice to meet you too, and thank you for all the kind words! Hopefully you’ll continue to see lots of official staff as part of the community, as we’re just as excited and can’t wait to see all of the neat things other developers come up with, both with games/projects of their own, but also plugins and modifications to the engine as well. Pretty much everyone here loves and plays games in their spare time, so we’re fully hoping this also results in a bunch of new games for us to check out :D.

Thanks for sharing your story…I’ve never actually tried Ruby myself yet, but I mean to one day. I agree with you, often the first step is the hardest and there will be some tricky parts, but you’re clearly very passionate and dedicated to learning, which I think is what you need most to be successful.

My story is a little bit boring, but you shared yours, so I’ll share mine! I got into gaming when I was very young with an NES my parents bought me and I’ve been hooked ever since. As I got older, I realized that in addition to loving games, I also really liked entertaining people, trying to make them laugh, etc. but I was also quite shy, which made it tricky! Eventually I figured out that game development would let me combine both things together and then I knew that was the path I had to take! I started trying to learn programming on my own and was glad to also find that my high school had programming classes as well. I went on to college to study computer science, continued on to having an excellent graduate school experience (://www.fiea.ucf.edu/), and was able to intern at Midway Games in Chicago before moving to a small indie developer, Phosphor. It took me a few tries to eventually make it to Epic. I knew I wanted to work here as a massive fan of Gears of War, but I had a lot to learn and experience to gain before I was ready. Now that I’m here though, I’m not leaving unless they kick me out the front door :p.

So I always think it sounds a little lame when I explain it, but the thought of crafting gameplay experiences that people really enjoy and have a good time with is what makes me most excited about making games. If the poet has his pen, I have gameplay mechanics! :smiley:

Whew, sorry for the long-winded answer, but I hope that’s what you were looking for. No worries re: my patience, you can repay me by making an awesome game for me to play!

What a good news to know that I’ll see lots of official staff around. It’s good to know that you’re friendly, hehe.

Ruby is amazing! Its verbosity makes it easy and smooth to program - you should give a try! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, my turn to say thanks for the kind words. I dedicate myself as much as possible and I hope I can be better.

Your story is not boring. Actually, is inspiring and funny. You could combine your shame and your desire to make people laugh and happy into the gaming scenario - this is amazing! Seriously! Your personal characteristics make you pro. :wink: Unfortunately here, in Brazil, we have no much directions to keep going in the game development way - it’s easier to be a professional eSports player than a developer making money and changing the world. The here are small and generally works just for commercial proposes - they’re are very far to make AAA games. I call them “money-makers” who create Facebook experiences and then they call it as “game”. You know, that addictive game who child or mom spend some money to keep their farm up and running. By the otherside, I think in your country, there are more opportunities - it’s the world’s capital of games! -. And if you merge the effort that you had with opportunity… Boy, you go very straight on. And it’s good to know that Epic has a good environment. I think this is a powerful point, because its reflect in what what we see: always good products.

I am with you. Create things that make people better is gratefully. Actually, I have the straight philosophy that games are a short way to create amazing things that make people say wows. And that’s what matters.

Talking philosophically, I saw a poem these days:

Have you already saw it? Haha, just kidding. It sounded poetic at all - I have to say that were very good words and I think game developers create art - as the poet does - and nothing less than this.

You have nothing to say sorry. I have to thank you for your spontaneous contribution and was very good to know a piece of your past. It’s good to make your life’s difficulties change the perspectives, and the best way to get there is knowing how people do.

I will make my best to create something. If you are (a little) active here, just wait because I’ll share with the community my journey.

Finally, thank you for sharing all of this with me and others. Again, thank you.

Can I get a link to these tutorial videos in english, if there are any? thank you

As anything when you get into stuff like this, there’s always going to be a steep learning curve.

When I first started with UE4, all I could to was a basic building and basic lighting because I was too nervous to touch extra lighting things like point lights extra directional lighting etc, but with a bit of playing around, now I’m a lot more confident in trying things, and now I’m at a point where I can export a basic little map from world machine, resize it and adjust the hills in UE4 to suit, and today I played with customizing my own textures.

There’s still things I struggle with, but I’m getting there.

In short, I’d say yes it’s good for noobs, I did look at the cry engine but the User interface didn’t look friendly to me.

i came from unity and i think that unity is easier for beginner to start with because unreal has to follow a strict structure where there is more freedom in unity for ,examples - game mode, persona, pawn, actor, blueprint structure. In unity, u only need to noe gameobject

I find the tools a lot more comfortable if i set the grid size to 100 and never move it to anything lower.

I could understand some of those being more complex, but you do realize that a UE4 Actor is essentially the same as a GameObject right? The catch with a GameObject is that for anything more complex than an Actor, you have to implement it all yourself whereas UE4 gives you more advanced bases to start working from. Which actually makes it easier because you’re not forced to learn complex topics straight out of the box. You can simply pick a Character if you want a PC/NPC, a Game Mode to specify a mode for the game, etc.

https:///user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

There are additional reasons why this comparison is not fair or accurate. One of the biggest that occurred to me a moment ago is material development. Unity requires you to learn a programming language dedicated to shaders called ShaderLab. UE4 is node-based and much easier to learn as it requires no real knowledge of programming. Within a minute or two, depending on how fast your development system is, you can have a reasonably complex material with advanced effects without ever learning a shader language. You can also preview from any node in the material you wish by right-clicking the node and selecting the preview option.

Then you have Blueprint which allows you to visually scripting your game’s functionality. While it does help to have some programming background, you really don’t need anything more than the basics which would be covered by an introduction to programming course. It is possible to build games entirely from Blueprint without ever touching C++ but it does help to learn C++ so you can make more advanced Blueprint nodes.

In order to get an understanding of the true difficulty of both engines, you really need to look at more than just one very narrow aspect. Hands-on time with both, as I have done, is also a very good method.