[UE4/Environment] SAMPA // a near future sci-fi city

Hey guys, been working on this portfolio scene for a while and thought I’d start a thread here :slight_smile:

My goal with this is to make a small near-future sci-fi city slice to get started with the PBR workflow and take advantage of the new Unreal 4 goodness. Loving the engine so far, it’s a dream coming true :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s still relatively early in development but hopefully the vision I have for this should already be pretty clear. Some assets are in completely different stages of completion than others so nevermind the placeholder stuff for now.

Here’s my latest WIP, this scene is 100% dynamically lit right now with the new Distance Field AO:

That looks pretty cool. Not sure if the road is too reflective or not but in my opinion it looks pretty good. Keep it up and I can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

Nice work there, keep it going! Cannot wait to see more :slight_smile:

I think the reflectiveness adds to the feel that it is a more advanced technology and not just the average road.

It looks pretty cool but I do have one problem with it, the sign in the background might be a bit too bright, as we are unable to read what it really says, though it still looks pretty cool.

However I do like the reflective road, which could indicate that it may be wet is automatic cleaning or something like that haha.

It’s pretty in fairness. Good job so far.

Nice job! I really like the exterior stairs.

I would add some sci fi street lighting coming from the road edges(curbs) towards middle.

Thanks guys :smiley:

The road is using a marble material from the content folder right now, I just wanted to test how a wet road would look like :slight_smile: I’ll definitely stick with the look and make a proper shader now!

Someone on another forum asked for a pic with and without the new AO, here it is:

Amazing work so far Minos! The architecture of that building looks . Be sure to keep us updated as you progress in the development of your project!

Thanks Sean!

Latest update:

Had to disable DFAO for now because it currently doesn’t support cubemap reflections. Still deciding if I should go for lightmaps or just leave it dynamic like that.

Nice!
Keep up the good work :wink:

Don’t hesitate to put some decals on the road by example :wink:

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with DFAO for this kind of scene until they can work with the reflection sphere actors. I am working on an outdoor scene, and I will probably use DFAO, since the only reflective elements in my environment are water-related. But, I think because you have a lot of reflective surfaces, SSR won’t quite do it for you. This is just my opinion, but I am curious as to what you think about it.

Nice one there!

New udpate! I’m planning to finish the scene by the next Sunday so this will probably be the last update before the final one. If you got any feedback please let me know :slight_smile:

I took some time to learn the new dDo this weekend and redid most of my materials. The difference is night and day, I can’t see myself working on PBR stuff without dDo anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Also got some trees in there, they are not the best but they should do the job for now (still gonna tweak the colors a bit tho). Again, keep in mind that there’s a lot of placeholder stuff in there.

I am all for futuristic cities, so this looks really !

work!

Hey man,

you can actually use reflection captures together with the movable skylight and DFAO if you have upgraded to 4.4! The trick is to allow the reflection environment to capture from Diffuse. Normally it also needs Lightmass information, so if you have no Lightmass, the reflection environment is black. Back in the days you could just disable “reflection environment lightmap mixing”…but thats not working anymore.

So now, you have to type in “r.DiffusefromCapture 1” or put “r.DiffusefromCapture=1” into the ConsoleVariables to make it work with dynamic lighting. Note that it doe still not update in realtime during game though :wink: That would be neat :smiley:

Cheers!

This looks very good, has a Japanese feel to it.

My only critique would be about the trees. The type of trees look out of place, maybe something more to these:

btw is this going to be a game?

nice work. compliments :wink:

Aw cool! I ended up using lightmaps for the final piece though, even thouugh it takes a bit to build the lighting the map runs much faster :slight_smile:

Anyways, thanks everyone for crits and support. I just posted the final piece in the release works section, head over here to check out the final screenhots!

Can you make a version of the video that has no copyright protected music in it? :smiley: Youtube in Germany is not showing it because of that :frowning: