UE4 Editor freezes when creating collision channel

I am following this tutorial on how to create an FPS with UE4 using C++

I’m using a MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and a AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics card.

I’ve reached the stage where I need to handle collisions, and the tutorial tells me to create a New Object Channel. But when I click the appropriate button in the Project Settings, the UE4 Editor freezes. I’ve left it for about ten minutes but still nothing, and had to force quit and reopen the editor. In Activity Monitor, it said UE4Editor was using about 110% CPU.

I’ve also noticed that the editor takes a while to start up and load projects.

Any ideas on why this is happening, and what I should do to solve the problem?

Hi macro206,

Is your system still freezing when you try to create a New Object Channel while following the tutorial?

From your specs, I see you are running a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). What OS are you running?

Is the engine version you are running 4.7? Please try downloading a 4.8 version of the engine and see if the CPU runs high in a blank Third Person Project. (You can still keep a 4.7 version of the engine and your project in that version if it 4.8 does not improve performance.)

Try updating and respond with the other information requested and we will continue to investigate from there. -Thanks

I have recently updated to version 4.9 and now it seems to work perfectly! I can add a new object channel without problems.

A number of fixes have been added to the 4.9 that address Mac specific bugs. Sounds like one of these has inadvertantly fixed your issue as well. Glad to hear you are up and running. Keep us posted if you experience any more issues like this. -Thanks.