UE4 crashes in OR Direct mode

Same problem here. Crashes with both newest 0.5.0.1 Oculus runtime as well as previous 0.4.4 version. Upgrading NVIDIA to 350.12 didn’t help either. This is on a DELL XPS with NVIDIA GeForce 750M running Windows 8.1.

It works fine with the integrated Intel but performance is too slow so that’s a non-starter.

BTW, Oculus 0.5.0.1 crashes even in it’s own Configuration Utility demo scene so there are clearly problems on both sides.

I’m going to try getting it working on my MacBook Pro that also has a GeForce 750M.

Hey christopheraugustus-

I have created an updated report (UE-9316) to include your information as well and will post an update here when I have more information on the status of this bug.

FYI, Unreal Editor 4.7.5 does not crash with Oculus 0.5.0.1 on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.10.3) with NVIDIA GeForce 750M/Intel Iris Pro integrated, but I haven’t gotten it to show anything on the HMD in VR Preview or Standalone Game (“stereo on”). Of course the Mac is only supporting Extend Desktop mode, not Direct HMD, so maybe l just haven’t figured out how to make it work yet. The Oculus Demo Scene works in Extend Desktop mode though.

I too am having this issue at startup.

I remember with Unity that the Render Settings needing to be forced to OpenGL for Direct-to-Rift play. Seeing how there are a number of Direct X 11 errors in the stacktrace, could this also be the case?

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

OVRDisplayRT64 + 22789 bytes
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::FD3D11Viewport() + 721 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\windows\windowsd3d11viewport.cpp:61]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHICreateViewport() + 168 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:461]
UE4Editor_RHI!RHICreateViewport() + 140 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\rhimethods.h:1463]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::CreateViewport() + 477 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderer.cpp:266]
UE4Editor_SlateCore!SWindow::ShowWindow() + 215 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\private\widgets\swindow.cpp:1087]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::SpawnToolTip() + 1105 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:2598]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::UpdateToolTip() + 2881 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:2801]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseMoveEvent() + 100 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4179]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseMove() + 580 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4145]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() + 2984 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1420]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() + 318 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1669]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() + 4016 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:742]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() + 114 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:604]
user32 + 105425 bytes
user32 + 104666 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() + 118 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:774]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() + 3737 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2233]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 1404 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

It’s still crashing with the 4.7.6 update. Is anyone working on this? Here is the crash dump:

OVRDisplay64 + 25145 bytes
OVRDisplayRT64 + 41621 bytes
OVRDisplayRT64 + 22780 bytes
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::FD3D11Viewport() + 721 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\windows\windowsd3d11viewport.cpp:61]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHICreateViewport() + 168 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11viewport.cpp:461]
UE4Editor_RHI!RHICreateViewport() + 140 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\rhimethods.h:1463]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::CreateViewport() + 477 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderer.cpp:266]
UE4Editor_SlateCore!SWindow::ShowWindow() + 215 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\private\widgets\swindow.cpp:1087]
UE4Editor_MainFrame!FMainFrameHandler::ShowMainFrameWindow() + 266 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\mainframe\private\frame\mainframehandler.h:205]
UE4Editor_MainFrame!FMainFrameModule::CreateDefaultMainFrame() + 4199 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\mainframe\private\mainframemodule.cpp:202]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!EditorInit() + 3591 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealed.cpp:115]
(…elided…)

VRKeith, have you figured out how to do this? If I change the project settings target for Windows to only use OpenGL (unchecking D3D options) it still crashes the editor on startup with errors reporting D3D failure.

Nope. I’m pretty sure it’s not RUNNING your project that’s the issue, but the Editor itself. Try what they do in this link: OpenGL 4 Issues in Windows - Feedback & Requests - Epic Developer Community Forums

To create a shortcut to run the editor in opengl mode just create a copy if the UE4Editor-Cmd.exe ,right click and select properties, then under the shortcut tab edit the target line to follows:

Win64\UE4Editor-Cmd.exe -opengl4

Double click the shortcut once finished and the editor with boot with opengl enabled.

I get a slightly different backtrace with -opengl4 - I see d3d11 calls in OVRDisplay64 still after all of the OpenGL calls.

OVRDisplay64 + 25673 bytes
OVRDisplayRT64 + 42229 bytes
OVRDisplayRT64 + 23276 bytes
d3d11 + 524175 bytes
d3d11 + 153828 bytes
OVRDisplay64 + 31505 bytes
OVRDisplay64 + 38934 bytes
opengl32 + 194394 bytes
opengl32 + 196481 bytes
UE4Editor_OpenGLDrv!PlatformInitOpenGL() + 71 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\opengldrv\private\windows\openglwindows.cpp:719]
UE4Editor_RHI!PlatformCreateDynamicRHI() + 493 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\windows\windowsdynamicrhi.cpp:29]
UE4Editor_RHI!RHIInit() + 84 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\dynamicrhi.cpp:51]
UE4Editor_Cmd!FEngineLoop::PreInit() + 7416 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1199]
UE4Editor_Cmd!GuardedMain() + 251 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
UE4Editor_Cmd!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor_Cmd!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor_Cmd!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

On a Razer Blade 2015 notebook (with Optimus and GTX 970m)

This crash was during Editor startup - never even got to load the project.

I had similar issues with this, and figured it might have been with my older GTX 650 graphics card. I also had the editor flickering like it was at a rave. After a while, the editor would crash and produce a similar crash dump. However, I didn’t see any d3d11 calls for my crash. Did you make sure to switch your project to not use DirectX 11?

See if your graphics card can support OpenGL 4. It’s very strange that Direct X is active at all.

Yeah, the Nvidia GTX 970M is new and supports OpenGL 4.

Ah, missed that part. Yeah, considering I’m experiencing this myself, I’m unable to help further. Good luck :frowning:

Hi, I have the same problem. UE 4.7.6 crashed when I selected “Simulated.” Im currently using the Oculus DK2 Runtime 5.0.1.
I in the UE4 Documentation that the runtime 4.4 works fine with UE4, but I had troubled unistalling it.
I hope it is crashing because of my Nvidia GTX 650 and not for compatible program problems.

Does the DK2 Runtime 5.0.1. works fine with UE 4.7.6?
Does the GTX 980 will work fine with this versions?

I make a test in Extended Mode and it works with my curently GTX650 and runtime 5.0.1. version on UE 4.7.6!
But with HMD mode it crashes. So I still dont understand what´s the problem; The version´s program or my graphic card?

Hey Mmau89-

I’ve updated to the 5.0.1 runtime and was able to open the editor in 4.7.6 using an NVidia GTX 770. It is possible that the graphics card is causing your issue however without exact reproduction I can’t say for certain if that is the issue. I would ensure that your drivers are up to date and not on a beta version before changing the video card completely.

Cheers

With all the -mentioned above- possible solutions tried, and failed, I thought that the problem might be the HDMI output. Thus, I used the mini display ports of the MSI notebook I work on, with a mini display port-to-HDMI adaptor, disabled the Direct mode and now everything works like a charm with the Unreal Editor.

Both firmware and versions are the latest ones, that used to cause a crash.

Hope that helps!

Just an update, I am using the latest version of Oculus runtime 5.0.1 and UE4 4.7.6.

So far I still cannot load up the editor when I am running in Direct mode, Extended mode with the editor loads up fine.

If I package the game in 64bit development from the editor and run it then I still have to use the extended mode although if I build in 32bit shipping I can then run the game in direct mode! This is all when I have the NVidia 970M card as the main card.

Does the engine run in 64bit? If so is there any way to run it in 32bit?

Hola a todos.

Tenia el mismo problema y he encontrado la solución (Al menos para mi caso).

1. Dirigirse a C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Binaries\Win64 y establecer compatibilidad para Windows 7 en el ejecutable UE4Editor.exe
  2. Asegurarse de que UE4Editor.exe se ejecuta con el procesador de alto rendimiento (Control de panel NVIDIA).

ESO ES TODO¡¡¡ Después de hacer mil pruebas y leer mil foros es lo que ha funcionado¡¡¡¡

Hello everyone. (Sorry for my english, i´m spanish).

I had the same problem and the solution I found (at least for me).

1. Approach ** C: \ Program Files \ Epic Games \ 4.7 \ Engine \ Binaries \ Win64 ** and establish compatible with Windows 7 in the executable UE4Editor.exe

2. Ensure that UE4Editor.exe running with high performance processor (NVIDIA Control panel).

THAT’S ALL¡¡¡ After making thousand tests and thousand forums only that is worked¡¡¡

My Computer:

ASUS G750JY

i7-4710-HQ.

16GB RAM.

512 SSD + 1TB HDD

NVIDIA 980m 8GB GDDR 5.

Windows 8.1.

Hola a todos.

Tenia el mismo problema y he encontrado la solución (Al menos para mi caso).

Dirigirse a C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Binaries\Win64 y establecer compatibilidad para Windows 7 en el ejecutable UE4Editor.exe

Asegurarse de que UE4Editor.exe se ejecuta con el procesador de alto rendimiento (Control de panel NVIDIA).

ESO ES TODO¡¡¡ Después de hacer mil pruebas y leer mil foros es lo que ha funcionado¡¡¡¡

Hello everyone. (Sorry for my english, i´m spanish).

I had the same problem and the solution I found (at least for me).

1. Approach C: \ Program Files \ Epic Games \ 4.7 \ Engine \ Binaries \ Win64 and establish compatible with Windows 7 in the executable UE4Editor.exe

2. Ensure that UE4Editor.exe running with high performance processor (NVIDIA Control panel).

THAT’S ALL¡¡¡ After making thousand tests and thousand forums only that is worked¡¡¡

My Computer:

ASUS G750JY

i7-4710-HQ.

16GB RAM.

512 SSD + 1TB HDD

NVIDIA 980m 8GB GDDR 5.

Windows 8.1.

On a Alienware 17 with Nvidia 980M, using the newest or previous version of the oculus drivers, it crashes for me too in direct mode.

However, when setting the compiled program to compatible with windows 7, per suggestion from Fervillagon, it now launches in direct mode.

I am however getting program crashes and even BSOD, although it is unclear right now if this is due to the same issue or if it is a problem with the game itself.