UE4 and Visual Studio 2015

Any progress of support VS2015 ? :confused:

4.9.2 does not support Visual Studio 2015

Check the release branch for stable builds. There has been nothing about VS 2015 in GenerateProjectFiles.bat yet.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/release/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/GenerateProjectFiles.bat

Visual Studio 2015 support has come. It’s in 4.10.0-preview-1.

Sounds helpful to me.

Hello all!

Newbie developer here… having a slight problem with UE 4.10 preview. I have on my machine both VC 2013 and 2015. And UE 4.10 Preview is - indeed - trying to use 2015, but it runs into this error when I try to make C++ projects, or “Generate Visual Studio project”. Do note the highlighted part.

[FONT=Courier New]Running F:/Program Files/Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Users/michael/Documents/Unreal Projects/HiqFirstPersonCpp/HiqFirstPersonCpp.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for game…
Forcing Visual Studio max version to 2013 projects for Android compatibility (use ‘-2015’ to override.)
UnrealBuildTool Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools…/…/VC/bin/amd64\cl.exe
at System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(String fileName)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment.FindCLExeVersion(String CompilerExe)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment…ctor(CPPTargetPlatform InPlatform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCEnvironment.SetEnvironment(CPPTargetPlatform Platform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCToolChain.GetVCIncludePaths(CPPTargetPlatform Platform)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCProjectFile.WriteProjectFile(List1 InPlatforms, List1 InConfigurations)
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.WriteProjectFiles()
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(String] Arguments, Boolean& bSuccess)
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFiles(ProjectFileGenerator Generator, String] Arguments)
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.DoPostStartupStuffThatCanAccessConfigs(String] Arguments)

Comparing my VS 2013 to my VS 2015 installation, it seems that [FONT=Courier New]Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\amd64 has a big bunch of files in it, among them cl.exe, whereas [FONT=Courier New]Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64 is nearly entirely empty.

So what is going on here? Do I have a faulty VS 2015 installation or is there something else at play?

Sounds to me like a re-install might be in order. I just looked in my own 2015 amd64 folder, and it’s got a pile of files in it, including cl.exe.

Any news? Only VS2015 installed, and still getting the error
**‘No Compiler was found. In order to use a C++ template, you must first install Visual Studio 2013’. **
Need help here please.

Just installed UE 4.9.2. Still the same error :frowning:

Have you tried using the Unreal Engine 4.10 Preview 4? Only this one supports VS 2015. If you don’t want to use a preview version you’ll have to wait until 4.10 gets officially released.

Don’t update to 4.10 or VS2015 just yet, I’ve not been able to get the engine to compile or even the project files to build without some sort of error. I’d wait til 4.11 or 4.12 until the bugs are ironed out. Currently the status is if you do somehow manage to get the engine built, you will be unable to package projects or build lighting.

4.10 and VS2015 works pretty good for me. I don’t have any complex projects so might not run into these issues, though.

Hi Chaoss,

If you have not already done so, could you please create a new post on the AnswerHub for each of the issues you have been running into? That will allow us to track and investigate them.

Thanks,

Building 4.10 from source is such a pain.

I am trying on both Win 7 and Win 8.1 computers. On both I installed VS2013&2015CommunityEditions.
None of them generate project file. Its iyher stuck or gives the following error:

It looks like VS is locking the files in the folder. I have tried moving the folder to different location but it is not helping…

EDIT: I tried moving the entire UnrealEngine folder to a “public” folder to see if it was a permissions thing. I moved it to My Documents folder but it is still stuck on the same messqage in the console… http://prntscr.com/93gqok

For reference, I had no problem building the 4.10 branch with Visual Studio 2015 on a fresh install of Windows 10.
Cheers!

Are the errors still the same after moving the folder?
The only time I have seen VS lock a file is when it is compiling it.

Side note: Did you reformat the errors from the output window? - Each entry should be on its own line.

Things to check:
“UnrealBuildTool” is not running before compile.
That you do not place the file where admin privileges are required.

HTH

Is only the VS 2015 Community Edition supported with UE 4.10 or also the VS 2015 Code Edition? I’m asking because I normally use Linux and installed Windows just for developing with UE4. Or what is the alternative for Linux?

Interesting question: I would say that it’s not possible to use Code as it would not open the Solution itself.
See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29972270/cannot-open-solution-file-in-visual-studio-code

I don’t have info for much of the rest of your post, but I can tell you these had nothing to do with your VS installation. The most recent Launcher update caused these behaviors.