[UE4 4.22.3 & C++] How can I do a 'Point Of View' replay?

Hey all,

I’m trying to do a replay system where when you playback the replay you have the same point of view as when the replay was recorded. By this I mean the camera maintains the same position & rotation as it was when you controlled the character, and its attached to the character like in regular gameplay.

I have the basic replay working where you looking at the replay from a spectator point of view. But I would like to have it so the replay is from the point of view of the player recording the replay.

The biggest problem I’m running into now is how do I get the pawn that was possessed and controlled when the replay was being recorded? Also how would I replicated the HUD interactions happening on the pawns HUD?

If you have any insight on this please let me know.

-London

Idk why this term didn’t occur to me in the first place, But I essentially want a first person replay system. With the HUD and everything being played back as it happened during the recording. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

I did this by creating a little actor that followed and recorded (via a NetMulticast function) the position and rotation of the PlayerCameraManager found on the player controller. Then when the replay started I my ReplayPlayerController found that actor (which is replicated) and moved based off of the recorded camera position and rotation. I also smoothed out the ReplayPlayerController movement because it was a little jittery, even at higher recording Hz.

I smoothed it like this:

// smooth things out
// replayLoc & replayRot are the places the replay camera should be

FVector locDiff = replayLoc - sPawn->GetActorLocation();
float locMult = FMath::Clamp(Delta * 25.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
sPawn->SetActorLocation(sPawn->GetActorLocation() + locDiff * locMult);

FRotator rotDiff = (replayRot - ControlRotation).GetNormalized();
float rotMult = FMath::Clamp(Delta * 15.f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
ControlRotation += rotDiff * rotMult;

now i’m trying to figure out the HUD.

Hopefully this answer helped you out. I’ve looked around a lot for an answer for this… I don’t think one really exists.

Hi LDOGLONDON, did you managed to replicate the original local player HUD as well?