UE Face control rig doesn't work with new skeletal mesh

Hi, I’m trying to apply the “simple face ctrl rig” on a new skeletal mesh.

For the moment, my method is : exporting the face skeletal mesh of a metahuman and importing it to blender, then changing its appearance by sculpting it and then reimporting the modified mesh into UE. My goal is to apply the face ctrl rig on the modified skeletal mesh imported from blender.

When I apply the face rig on the metahuman face skeletal mesh in the sequencer, the rig works fine and I can control the character’s expressions, but when I apply the rig on my new imported mesh, the rig is compatible with the bones but nothing happens, the rig can’t control the expressions.

I followed several steps to make sure the skeletal mesh keeps its bones during the imports/exports between blender/unreal but I think there is more to that.
An interesting test was to export the face skeletal mesh from UE and reimporting without going through blender : same problem, the rig doesn’t work.
I tried changing the prewiew skeletal mesh on the metahuman with the new imported one but the rig still doesn’t work.

any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, any tips? (UE 2.27)
Following this guide Howto Create a custom UE4 Metahuman Morph with Blender (Uncommented) - YouTube but metahuman face rig don’t have any effect on my imported face.