UE crashes when converting metahuman skeletal mesh to static mesh

I am trying to create a static mesh from MetaHuman generated charaters.
This bug report appears on both using UE 5.0.2 and UE 4.27.

Procedure:

1. Create MetaHuman character. 2 characters were created. 1 with the new MetaHuman for UE5
    and 1 with the original MetaHuman UE4
  2. Download it and insert in the scene using Bridge
  3. Right click on model → Convert “model” to static mesh (UE4.27)
    or Actor → Convert “model” to static mesh (UE 5.0.2).
  4. Editor waits for a moment then crash

Log UE4:

LoginId:c231ec0c42396f693c1b40a19f336353
EpicAccountId:5053e413c7044ab8acef51c59a422230

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 703] Array index out of bounds: 1301 from an array of size 1301

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_MeshUtilities
UE4Editor_MeshUtilities
UE4Editor_MeshUtilities
UE4Editor_MeshUtilities
UE4Editor_MeshUtilities
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

Log UE5:

LoginId:c231ec0c42396f693c1b40a19f336353
EpicAccountId:5053e413c7044ab8acef51c59a422230

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 691] Array index out of bounds: 6393 from an array of size 6393

UnrealEditor_MeshUtilities!SkinnedMeshToRawMeshes() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshUtilities\Private\MeshUtilities.cpp:353]
UnrealEditor_MeshUtilities!FMeshUtilities::ConvertMeshesToStaticMesh() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshUtilities\Private\MeshUtilities.cpp:561]
UnrealEditor_MeshUtilities!FMeshUtilities::ConvertActorMeshesToStaticMeshUIAction() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\MeshUtilities\Private\MeshUtilities.cpp:6396]
UnrealEditor_MeshUtilities!TBaseRawMethodDelegateInstance<0,FMeshUtilities,void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,TArray<AActor *,TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> > >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:469]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnClicked() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1157]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryBlock::OnMenuItemButtonClicked() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:1108]
UnrealEditor_Slate!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SMenuEntryBlock,1,FReply __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Execute() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:290]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::ExecuteOnClick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:464]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\Input\SButton.cpp:389]
UnrealEditor_Slate!SMenuEntryButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\MultiBox\SMenuEntryBlock.cpp:434]
UnrealEditor_Slate!<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f>::operator()() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4961]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_51e270ca99ea7ce852539efd04dd453f> >() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:405]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4947]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5495]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:5460]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2210]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2699]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:1078]
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:916]
user32
user32
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp:138]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5139]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01\_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Any idea where this is coming from?
Can anyone test this to see if it is systematic for others?

Thanks in advance.

Hello ! I Had the same problem as you, removing the grooms components from the actor blueprint solved the crash when converting for me

Hey! Can you explain what I need to remove and how to remove them? I’m getting the same issue when attempting to assign the m_tal_nrw_body skeletal mesh to the SK_Mannequin skeleton. I’ve removed some of the advanced grooming features from the metahuman, played around with the grooming plugins but it constantly crashes for me.

I have the same issue. Removing the groom components hasn’t solved the issue for me (it’s also made everyone bald which isn’t exactly ideal)

Bump. Still happening in 5.3.

Same issue here, Unreal engine 5.3.2, when trying to convert Ada metahuman blueprint to staic mesh, my engine crashes. Same issue reported “Array index out of bounds: x from and array of size x” Please has anyone found a solution to this?