UE Basics Thread, Talking, Learning, and Maybe More

Not sure what you got.
An atlas in an image composed of images.

Commonly you have meshes sample a specific part of the UV to show the specific part of the image.

Ue4 light bake generates atlases, for instance…

I’ve been making some progress on my forest road project, but have been moving pretty slow. I’m going to estimate I’m about 2/3- 3/4 finished. Here is where I am at. Next will be adding plants, trees, and bushes to the hills.

Question 12- Migration. I’m finding that when I migrate meshes and materials from one project to another, that the materials and instances lose their association with the textures they had at the export site. Is there a way to prevent this, so I don’t have to pick through them and reconnect the proper textures to the associated material?
Thanks!

Possibly it’s set up incorrectly.
The material should use default textures that are even part of the engine - defaults.
Then the instance is set to use a specific image.

When you migrate a mesh with a material instance the textures usually migrate along with the rest.
And generally the folder structure they are in gets preserved.

When I select items like a tree for migration the textures are going with the materials and the mesh, but they are no longer applied to the material. So I have to go in and reconnect them. This very well could be user ignorance…

Reconnect implies having to modify the material, so if that’s the case it sounds more like a bug.

1 Like

Hmm, I just migrated some stuff and it stayed connected. I… I’m happy, but not sure what I did differently this time.

1 Like

Question 13- Using the Foliage tool, my trees are always perpendicular to the surface of the terrain instead of being vertical to the world, so on slopes created with the terrain tool, they lean down the slope.

Of note, when these trees are dragged into the scene they remain vertical.

Ok, so it’ s probably something easy? I’ve been looking up and down experimenting with various settings. Like Random Pitch Angle, Ground Slope Angle, nope. I won’t be surprised if I’m looking in the wrong place. Help please.

It’s in there
it’s called “align to normal” or something similar.

Usually, grass and bushes have it checked and the shader re-orients the vertex upwards.

On trees, its unchecked with a randomness factor so that not every tree is perfectly vertical.

A normal in this scenario is the vector perpendicular to the plane where the item gets positioned.

1 Like

Sometime I think I might scream, because I was looking at those settings including Align to Normal, checking, uncheck and it made no difference. In addition I was changing settings like density and scaling and no difference. It was not unti I quit in disgust, but then restarted UE that those settings actually had an effect!

Does this happen often in UE, where the program seems functional but changing the settings has no effect? :grimacing:

Thanks, and happy new year.

If you want to work with UE you better get used to being pi*sed.
Also, I suggest cutting your hair really short so you don’t pull it out.

And with foliage, changing settings after its painted doesn’t do much. You need to use the reapply tool.

Happy new year.

1 Like

Well I finished my Forest Project a few weeks ago. This was mostly a learning experience to see if both UE and I has what it takes to keep me going. It does. :slight_smile:
What I ended up with does not look as good as the original but I am pleased with it. It’s good enough to continue:

Now I’ve decided in the midst of needing to gain a mountain of UE knowledge that I also need to up my game with Blender and completed this tutorial while taking copious notes, in outline format. It’s only way I maintain and retrieve all that I am exposed to:

This is video excellent and I am progressing in both the Day 2 version of this series, while working though a shorter UE sponsored tutorial on Environmental art.

I’ve also looked at Z Brush and wonder how much better it is as compared to Blender, not that I am willing to pay $800 for it, at least not at this point. :slight_smile:

Question 14: I thought I’d take this opportunity to ask and verify, when it comes to UE, as a process do most artists do most of their modeling in a third party program like Blender, and then import in the meshes? If so what modeling program do you use?

Does UE even have the capability to do serious modeling? And does it work as well as the dedicated third party 3D modeling program?

Question 15: How do you go about project visualization? Say you are working on a scene, do you use UE or a third party program to establish a rough outline for how the scene is laid out, or do you just wing it and start placing items?
I came across a term called blocking out a scene, and am wondering if this has to do with layout visualization!?

Thanks, hope to hear back from you or anyone who would like to discuss these aspects of UE. :smiley:

Question 15: I’m looking at layout design. Has the latest version 4 of Unreal Engine abandoned the idea of BSP, Block Out Brushes? I’ve found some older tutorials on it, but nothing for V4.7.

Has the idea of placing a box and designating it “Hollow” disappeared? This is also mentioned in older tutorials, but the only time I see a brush setting for a Box is when it is added as a “subtract” mesh. But can’t seem to get the subtracts mesh to actually subtract from a box already in a scene as if you are trying to cut a door into it.
I’m assuming that first the existing box would have to be designated as hollow or 2 sided, but I have yet to find the settings to change an existing box in the world.
Thanks!