UE 5.8 Nanite - Landscape Layer Blend Material Turns Grey Bug

Summary

Enabling nanite turns the material grey when using Landscape Layer Blend node inside the material. The node is used in order to use landscape painting tool

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Level Design & Art Tools

Steps to Reproduce

Create a new empty project in UE 5.8

Create new level and a landscape

Create a material blueprint and drag 2 different textures to paint with

Create a Landscape Layer Blend node

Plug the textures to a Landscape Layer Blend node and plug the Layer Blend result to Base Color pin

Get back to the editor and go into landscape mode and painting tool and create layers from assigned materials, create appropriate layer infos and paint the landscape

Enable nanite, material turns grey and remains grey unless you switch to another material and back to the first as if resetting it

Expected Result

Landscape can be painted with the selected textures

Observed Result

Landscape turns grey and the paint tool won’t affect anything

Affects Versions

5.8

Platform(s)

Windows

Video

Additional Notes

Even if I close nanite after the landscape material went gray, it still can’t be paint unless I switch to another material and back into the first material

1 Like

Hey There, I’m in Unreal 5.8.1 now and all I can say is “It Got Worst…” , now it doesn’t work on any of them, Nanite or not; so basically we can’t paint landscape using 5.8 which is unbelievable!

I really hope someone find a solution for this or Epic fixes this in next update :frowning:

Just got in a ticket, thanks for flagging.

1 Like

Hi @Hal_Link

Could we get your logs and/or a project where you’ve been able to reproduce this? Thank you!

@Hal_Link, the team suggested manually checking “Used with Nanite” on the Landscape material as a workaround. They’ll be working on a fix for this for an upcoming patch.

Hello, regarding the issue of terrain material blending in Unreal 5.8.1, the materials turn black. I have spent a long time trying to resolve the issue, but to no avail. If I don’t enable Nanite, the terrain materials are fine. However, once Nanite is enabled, the terrain turns black, and even if I turn it off, it remains black

Hello Everyone, Epic released 5.8.2 yesterday and ..!

It’s still broken :frowning:

1 Like

Official Solution from the Epic Games Developer Team

While the Epic Games QA team is processing an official fix for a hotfix (such as version 5.8.2 or a subsequent patch), Epic Games staff provided a workaround that you can try immediately:

  1. Open the Master Material of your landscape.
  2. In the Details panel on the left (make sure you click on an empty space in the material graph so that the main settings appear).
  3. Look for the option named “Used with Nanite”.
  4. Check that option manually, then click Apply and Save.
  5. Return to the Editor, then Build Data again on your Landscape.

1 Like

UE-392184 is ‘Closed’ as ‘Fixed’. The issue will be addressed in 5.8.3.