UE 5.4, Editor constant freeze.

Hello UE Team,

Can you help me with some bug in Unreal, since i installed UE 5.4 , I have editor problems with constant freeze, freezes after a few seconds, it does not allow me to navigate well or maneuver the tabs or tools fluidly. It is also happening to me in every level i´d create, even though I have a machine that should support this version.

I already installed the version in 3 times, each one with the same issue.

Thanx for the help.

1 Like

Hey there @Hmmedina! Welcome back to the community! Does the freezing/stuttering coincide with high resource usage? Do you use a High DPI monitor? This sounds consistent with an older issue that has a couple solutions inside this thread:

1 Like

hi @Hmmedina ,

You could try using Dx11 drivers. If this works then get the latest Nvidia driver update as there have been bugs affect some recent drivers GPU on dx12
#UE5 CRASH #UE5 Unreal Engine 5 on dx12

1 Like

Greetings @Hmmedina

Welcome back to the forum! As Jimbo mentioned in the response below, I’d test on DirectX 11 and see if that makes a difference. Let me know if it doesn’t fix it. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello friends, thanks for the attention, I got the latest version of Nvidia drivers, I tried in DirectX 11 and it did not solve the problem. Could it affect that I am working on Windows 10?

Hello friends,

Today I discovered something interesting, checking the task manager while UE 5.4 freezes, the HDD disk where I save my projects saturates its performance, while the SDD disk where the software with the cache is installed does not present saturation. I have always worked this way (software/SDD, proyects/HDD) with previous versions (5.3 - 4.27) without any problem.

Should I do some type of configuration in unreal for this type of case and installation?

I am having the same issue. There is a log about " LogAutomationController" taking like 2 or 3 seconds to finish. I think that is what causes the freezing in my case. I test all types of drivers, dx11 and even vulkan with the same result.

1 Like

I tried direct 11 and it had no effect, so far what I see is that UE 5.4 projects can only be stored on SDD disks and not on HDD.

2 Likes

This fixed it for me! Thanks! At least partially, sometimes still happen, but not all the time like before. I am going to see if my project is in the SSD now may be that solves it for good.

1 Like

Hello Jim, what do you think about my comments.

1 Like

Hello Frosty, what do you think about my comments.

Hi @6aston9 Excellent! I’m glad you were able to resolve this!

1 Like

I see! Have you tried installing UE on the same drive with the projects you’re working on to rule out any issues with the drive itself?

1 Like

hi @Hmmedina ,
There is a requirement for Nanite in 5.0EA to have project installed on an SSD.
This was initially loaded from SSD, but later versions this was supposedly held in a buffer.

Nanite Tessellation requires an SSD and a very big one as well. New features like Substrate need SSD.

Visual Studio 2022 refuses to load on any non SSD drive.

The build time in UE5 is 8 times longer on a hard disk compared to SSD.

1 Like

Exactly, i Instaled the proyect in the same SSD disk where is the UE software as a test, this resolve the problem inmediatly of frezee or slowdown performance.

Understood Jim, very important information to my future projects, i’ll actualize my hardware to these requirements. I had not been able to start my participation in the Titan project.

Ah, I see. Well, I’m glad we found the culprit! Have a great week!

I tried turning on Enable High DPI Support, but after the restart it automatically disabled it again. DirectX 11 didn’t fix it either, the only solution for me was putting the project on an SSD drive. This really sucks, as hard drive space is at a premium with Unreal projects, and the SSD drives are still very expensive. I had no problems with 5.1.1 using this drive, so to suddenly have to switch is a major pain. Wish they’d fix this.

I take it back, putting it on the SSD drive initially appeared to fix it, but didn’t, neither did disabling the Studio Telemetry, UDP or TCP plugins.

Hey,
It may not be related, I have also trouble since 5.4.
Project datas are on HDD , softwares and derivated data caches on SSD. Let say I am too lazy to move my datas or too poor to afford what i would need.
However each time i click in the editor, or even if i don’t want to move the mouse and i have an animation playing in an active viewport, it constantly write on file \Saved\Telemetry\Telemetry.json
It grows faster than weed and prevent me from doing fun task easily, like , connecting two nodes. Do you guys also have this huge file and a way to not write it ?
Ty.

Nevermind, solved it.
Disabling the ‘Studio Telemetry’ plugin which is enabled by defaut on 5.4 allow me to have the smooth experience .

2 Likes