UE 5.3 UI choppy, lagging, flashing, and slow

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

UI/Tools

Summary

Whenever I move my mouse cursor and start to select tabs and properties in Unreal Engine’s UI, my editor performance crashes and drops below 10 fps. This has been going on since the very beginning of the creation of this project, even when I had 0 imported assets. Simply browsing through texture properties (without even selecting or changing any specific property) results in an average of 5 fps for the editor. Whenever I click back into the viewport, the editor resumes to +60 fps.

I recorded a video showing what I’m dealing with, you can watch the frame rate drop in the top right corner whenever I go into the UI:

My computer specifications are:

AMD TR 2990WX - 32 cores, 64 threads; 3.0GHz base, 4.0GHz turbo/boost
RTX 3090 Founder’s Edition
8x16GB DDR4 (128GB @2667MHz)
X399 Taichi

GPU has the latest driver installed (551.76), I have all the latest CPU/chipset drivers installed, latest BIOS installed, latest version of Unreal Engine (as of 3/7/24).

Steps to Reproduce

No specific steps required to reproduce. However, I will list everything I have tried to do so far:

1. Updated all drivers and BIOS
  2. Turned off my overclocks on CPU and GPU
  3. Turned off Realtime
  4. Turned down Scalability settings to lowest
  5. Went through task manager and ended all other background programs
  6. Reinstalling Unreal Engine
  7. Checked CPU temperatures (was running cool; Unreal Engine only utilizes 15% or less of my CPU anyway)
  8. Disabled DPI Based Editor Viewport Scaling option
  9. Disabled High DPI Support
  10. Yes, DirectX 11 results the same issues

Expected Result

The expected result of simply browsing through Unreal Engine’s UI should not be this choppy. I know I don’t have a top-end workstation, but I feel I have an above-average rig that shouldn’t have to deal with this.

Observed Result

The “observed” result is a choppy, lagging, flashing, and slow UI.

Platform(s)

Windows 11 Home Edition (with latest update)

I’m having the same issue. My setup: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (GDDR6 2500 MHz, 24560 MB), AMD Ryzen 9 7950x (4.50 GHz, 16 core, 32 threads,) 32GB Ram (6000MHz).

1 Like

I just noticed that it only happens if I full screen Unreal Engine; if it’s in a window, even as close to full screen as I can without it being full screen, there’s no issue.

1 Like