UE 4.27 Can't run packaged game. main game module not found.

Hello everyone,

I’m having some issues with running my packaged game. I have seen multiple forum posts on a similar issue, but this is not the case. I use minimal plugins. A blank c++ project packages and compiles fine, so I know its my project and not my system or engine.

(Skip to end to see how I packaged game) My game “cellworld_vr” packages fine, i removed most warnings by disabling unused plugins. When I run the packaged game cellworld_vr.exe, it returns this error in a dialog box:

The game module 'cellworld_vr' could not be found. Please ensure that this module exists and that it is compiled.

Opening the logfile inside the Saved/Logs shows me this (full log file attached. ctrl+left click it to download):

cellworld_vr.log (51.8 KB)

[2024.01.25-04.07.07:853][  0]LogModuleManager: Warning: ModuleManager: Module 'cellworld_vr' not found - its StaticallyLinkedModuleInitializers function is null.
[2024.01.25-04.07.11:694][  0]Message dialog closed, result: Ok, title: Message, text: The game module 'cellworld_vr' could not be found. Please ensure that this module exists and that it is compiled.
[2024.01.25-04.07.11:694][  0]LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: EngineExit() was called)

I read the whole log file and couldn’t really find the reason for failing besides cellworld_vr not found. The reason? I don’t know.

Before packaging, I compiled in DebugGame Editor configuration in VS 2022 and ran UE4 from debugger (also packaged without running with debugger attached) and then packaged the game successfully. I also cooked the game assets before running the package and got the same result.

I am running on Windows 11, Unreal Engine 4.27, and NVIDIA 4070 with latest game ready drivers.

Any insight will help!

best,
alex

Greetings @famaldonadoos

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues. This is an older thread. But, the type of issue you’re experiencing is similar. I would start with some of the solutions provided here The game module 'myproject' could not be found. I hope this helps!

Hey @FrostyJas ! thanks for your reply but I read that forum post and their issue is different. I am able to compile my code fine from source and run in PIE just fine. When I package the game in any configuration (after building it in VS with that configuration selected) the same error “mygamename module not found etc etc”.

From the forum post you provided, I checked my nmake settings and this is what they look like. Because their issue is more on compiling, I believe my nmake settings are correct (since again, my project builds fine) but I wanted to attach it just in case I am wrong and you see an obvious error.

On another note, is it possible to generate .dmp files from a packaged game without having to run task manager > select process > generate dump file?

Best,
alex

Ok so after I took a pause to clear my head… I found the super simple n00by mistake inside my source/cellworld_vr.cpp file.

WRONG:

#include "cellworld_vr.h"
#include "Modules/ModuleManager.h"

IMPLEMENT_PRIMARY_GAME_MODULE( FDefaultGameModuleImpl, EyeTrackingVR, "EyeTrackingVR" );

CORRECT:

#include "cellworld_vr.h"
#include "Modules/ModuleManager.h"

IMPLEMENT_PRIMARY_GAME_MODULE( FDefaultGameModuleImpl, cellworld_vr, "cellworld_vr" );

Not sure how it got like that, maybe I imported it from my other project? I don’t know why I’d do that since this file is autogenerated when you create a blank c++ project. Anyways, at least everything is working now.

Don’t copy/past code from your old projects (or be very careful at least)!!

best,
alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.