UE 4.27: Android NDK no longer supported for new Apps

The NDK versions given here How to Set Up Android SDK and NDK For Your Unreal Engine Development Environment | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation for 4.27 are since August 2022 no longer supported by Google Play for new Apps.

The new minimum for new Apps is Android API 31. Not entirely sure which NDK release is now required, but it is above the supported version by Unreal Engine 4.27.

With NDK 23 its possible to make something with API 31, but at the moment I dont get it to work

did you ever resolve this?

Iam not up to date anymore, but did you tried out the Unreal Engine’s 4.27-Plus build ?
When i remember correctly, the Team updated the Android Stuff etc. there

I thought plus was only for console development (xbox/playstation/switch)

When you read the changelog of the Plus Version, then you can see that it has Android changes :slight_smile: → in short, yes you can use it for your “newer” android Project, but I would recommend taking the time to prepare an UE5 upgrade

Trust me, the upgrade can work / will work, i upgraded a large Open World Map, it took many hours and 110 GB RAM, but here we go :smiley:
EDIT: What I wanna say is, it will be a lot easier for android projects (at least I think it)

I personally already use ue5, but my day job has a lot of 4.27 dependencies that require a complete rewrite for ue5. We didn’t have time to take that route. I got the issue resolved in 4.27 without the plus version.

Can you explain how?

I believe I used ndk 21rb, min sdk 30 or 31, target sdk 32. Then you need to modify the android build cs file in the engine to include the “exported” option to the application title. There are some other articles online already. There’s a bit where you need to modify the android sdk as well to rename some files to what they were previously called.

I haven’t seen a post the has all the answers, but I could write one up if you really need me to. Here’s part of the solution:

2 Likes

That would be heavily appreciated! My issues have been plaguing me for months now.

so I need to build the 4.27.2 plus to get new apps to work?

UE5 is not mobile friendly