UE 4.20p4 ARCore image database cannot build.

Just as an FYI, this still fails in the 4.20 release version.

Just tried Google’s branch again. Same error as OP, image database failed to build. Why would the sample database build for some people but not everyone? Seems to go against it’s purpose of being a sample project…

Also asked this question in AnswerHub. No answer so far :confused:

Copy the tools folder to 4.20 (with arcoreimg.exe) from the git version (link above) not work to you? To mee, that was the solution.

I tried that, didn’t work… Though if I ran the tool on my images via CMD, the database built fine.

The evaluation command also gives my image a score of 100 so it’s not a lack of feature points causing the build to fail.

Copying the tools folder did not work for me either. Also should not that I’m on Mac.

I think there are two issues here:

1. The binary build version of Unreal 4.20(from Epic Game Launcher) somehow is missing the Tools folder under Engine\Plugins\Runtime\GoogleARCore. So If you are using the binary version of Unreal 4.20, you need to copy the Tools folder from either the 4.19 Google’s Unreal Engine repo or the 4.20 branch from Epic’s Github repo and run the Setup.bat to get the Tools folder.
  2. There is an issue in both 4.19(Google’s branch) and 4.20 Epic’s branch that if you put the Unreal Engine folder in to a path that contains empty space, the Augmented Image data base will failed to build. The workaround for now is to try to remove the path in your Engine folder and your project folder.

Also note that you will need to change the Augmented Image Database asset to make the cooking process happens again.

4.20 also seems to be missing the “GoogleArCoreServices” plugin. The folder is there and includes the source files but there are no binaries. This plugin is needed for CloudArPin hosting. What is with this release not even delivering features noted in the release blog?

Yeah, unfortunately 4.20 is missing the .uplugin file in GoogleARCoreServices plugin, which is why the folder only contains the source code folder. The workaround for now is to use the source code version of 4.20 and manually added a GoogleARCoreServices.uplugin (https://github.com/google-ar-unreal/UnrealEngine/blob/4.19.1-arcore-v1.2.1/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/GoogleARCoreServices/GoogleARCoreServices.uplugin) file in that folder. Once you added the .uplugin file, generate the project file and build the engine again, you should be able to use the GoogleARCoreServices plugin for CloudARPin.

If you want to use binary version of Unreal 4.20, you will have to copy the GoogleARCoreServices folder to a project plugin and add the uplugin there.

Hello, Did anyone manage to find a solution to the problem? Error: Failed to build augmented image database. I work on the binary version of UE 4.20

EDIT :

I have done that but when I start my project I have this error message : Failed to load Plugin : Failed to read file. Invalid Json Token. Line: 7 Ch: 1 (E:/Myproject/Plugins/GoogleArCoreServices/GoogleARCoreServices.uplugin)

:frowning:

Which project are you trying to open? Are you trying to open the CloudARPin sample? If you want to try out the CloudARPin sample, I have to use the workaround described there:

If you are trying to open the Augmented Image sample, and you got that error. You can open the AugmentedIMages.uproject file in a text editor, and remove the GoogleARCoreServices section in the Plugins if it is there.

I was trying to open the AugmentedIMages, Finally I solved the problem be using the source code version of Unreal. Hope this issue will be corrected in the next version of UE.
Tks.

This solution doesn’t work, because I haven’t the “GoogleARCoreServices” in my .uproject :

{
“FileVersion”: 3,
“EngineAssociation”: “4.20”,
“Category”: “”,
“Description”: “”,
“Plugins”:
{
“Name”: “SteamVR”,
“Enabled”: false
},
{
“Name”: “AppleARKit”,
“Enabled”: false
},
{
“Name”: “GoogleARCore”,
“Enabled”: true
}
]
}

Hmm, that’s weird. I don’t have problem open the AugmentedImage sample using the binary version of Unreal 4.20. Not sure what is causing the problem.

Has this issue been fixed in 4.20.2? I havent had a chance to try.

This issue is still not fixed in 4.20.2.

Still not fixed in 4.20.3…

s the problem solved? I can do it on the company’s computer, and building up images on my home computer will fail. I don’t know why.

Work to me from the 4.20.0. Copyed the arcoreimg.exe from git version. Do you have installed visual studio with unreal engine part?

Hi, i’ve just managed to succesfully build and run AugmentedImages project on android using custom images for tracking. I’ve used bone-stock-straight-out-of-the launcher 4.20.3 WITHOUT the arcoreimg.exe. The trick for me was to use sample images that had the same parameters as those in example, so i’ve used 4728x3264 8bit RGB jpg on compression level 9, and it worked like a charm on SGS7. When i’ve used 2k res png it failed to build, so maybe the file format is the problem in this case. Hope this helps anybody.