[UE-189064] Engine freezing when selecting c++ actor in editor play mode

I have an update on what may be causing the “freeze” on my original info about the bug.

Using a blueprint-only project with the same settings does not cause a freeze when selecting BP_FirstPersonChracter0 during a play session in the editor. It only happens if you use the C++ version. Also converting the blueprint-only project to C++ still doesn’t cause the freeze, since the actor is a blueprint actor.

When using a C++ project from the start and selecting the BP_FirstPersonChracter0 in the outliner when in play mode the editor freezes and ramps up memory usage. I think that’s because the selected actor is a C++ Actor that was created in the project scope (not a default engine class like ACharacter is for the base of the blueprint version of BP_FirstPersonChracter). There is one way to make it not cause the freeze that I’ve found, and it requires you to open the source file of the affected actor and wait for the visual studio solution to load before pressing play.

This warning might be unrelated but it seems to pop up when compiling from visual studio

1>Building TestEditor...
1>Using Visual Studio 2022 14.34.31946 toolchain (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
1>[Upgrade]
1>[Upgrade] Using backward-compatible include order. The latest version of UE has changed the order of includes, which may require code changes. The current setting is:
1>[Upgrade]     IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Unreal5_1
1>[Upgrade] Suppress this message by setting 'IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Unreal5_2;' in TestEditor.Target.cs.
1>[Upgrade] Alternatively you can set this to 'EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Latest' to always use the latest include order. This will potentially cause compile errors when integrating new versions of the engine.
1>[Upgrade]

The project gets created from the engine by default with IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Unreal5_1

For the original bug report, the Visual Studio version is 17.6.3 with MSVC v143 (14.34) and the Unreal Engine version is 5.2.0 from the Epic Games Launcher.

I found the problem, apparently for some reason show hidden properties while playing was on by default for me in the details panel, which was causing the issue. I knew it had to do with indexing a lot of properties. The reason it froze was due to raytracing being enabled. I disabled raytracing and now it doesn’t freeze, but it plays at around 20 fps when that actor is selected with the show hidden properties while playing turned on. Once show hidden properties while playing is turned off it jumps to the normal ~120 fps even with raytracing on.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.