UDK -> U4 Lightmass Question

Hi all,

In UDK I could disable lightmass when early in a level, placing objects, doing basic material and lighting work, etc. It was a simple checkbox in the World Properties.

How can I achieve the same result in U4? I don’t want to have to wait so long for builds when I don’t need the extra visual details yet.

Under the lightmass tab in World Settings I found “Force No Precomputed Lighting” which when checked seems to reduce the visual quality / speed things up, but I don’t feel like this is the right answer.

I tried to reduce “Indirect Lighting Quality” to 0 - but it only let me go down to .1, and then the lighting build failed when I tried.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Checking the Force No Precomputed Lighting means that when you build there won’t be any built lighting. But if you don’t want to run lightmass, you can also just not build lighting, in the Build menu there’s the options to build everything else, just don’t build lighting.

@anonymous_user_eb6c80a1 - will not building lighting also prevent the “compiling shaders” issues I am encountering and reading all over about? Seems U4 still hasn’t solved this problem in 4.1.1, and it was better in 4.0.x?

I haven’t had any shader compiling issues