Uber Hi-Res Earth Shader - Work In Progress

That’s exactly the video I’m using as source :slight_smile: My Seams have returned thanks to Mental Rays’ bleddy border that it adds to everything so I’m back to re-baking textures, but I am also working on the aurora:

What I’m struggling with now is mapping the detail textures to 3D space, but making sure there’s no stretching or re-orientation. The 3D World Coordinates functions in Unreal are okay for small objects, but for large objects they cause all manner of stretching. I may just have to create another set of UV’s and have each mesh in the actor have a chunk of those UV’s, and actually map the textures to UV space. There would still be some distortion at the poles (or I could use Polar Coordinates, not yet figured that one out but I see it in your sun shader).

Looking forward to getting me a copy of that and learning a few tricks :slight_smile:

That looks really nice, I love it.

Great update :smiley:
I see you have an aurora system?! Have any videos of it in realtime?

Hm… Yes that UV could be problematic.
One of the things you could do is a screen based 3D Coordinate system & Mask.
Basically, would warp your 3D UV’s so that they stretched properly from your camera angle but broke behind the object. (But who will be back there to see that happening) :stuck_out_tongue:
I have implemented things like before. They can be a bit of a hassle, but they can be potential fixes for things like .

A video finally! Note is still a work in progress. The base of the Aurora can get a little too thick/intense at times, and still needs tweaking a little. I also forgot to fade out the Thunderstorms as you move far away, though it was a quite nice effect.

Only a short little teaser for now, and you can also see I’m having an with artefacts/straight lines caused by the normal mapping too. should be fixed when I get around to re-baking them all. I think I may soften the boundaries between the ocean and the landmass, as at the moment the specular blending is a little bit too harsh IMO, and the sea glows like it’s emitting light.

No surrounding environment atm either, though the moon is in there too.

?v=wBCENijy-hU

That’s pretty awesome, ! Nice touch with lightnings too. :eek:

Fantastic work! Looks great.

Amazing! Great work man

Wow, that looks really amazing! :eek:

Wow, is really amazing!!!
Good job man!!!
The aurora is very cool
Did the lightnings on some areas come with the shader?

Right so, some updates! We now have a full game loop in place and even have real TLE-Based orbits, here are the latest beauty snaps :wink:

://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/Satellite_Rendered_zps1dc5e848.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/InGame_TLEVisualization_zps7bf9771a.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/InGame_SatelliteOrbiting_zps8ed9e75a.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/Earth_MilkyWay_zps578ebe7a.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/Earth_JapanAuroraMoon_zps769fcf7e.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/InGame_ElipticalOrbit_zps7a294dc6.png
://i239.photobucket/albums/ff29//GES%20Mission%20Control/Earth_DistantTLEView_zps6e3a16b7.png

Out of sheer curiosity, how close can you zoom without loosing detail /quality?

Well you can get closer than the current Camera Clipping plane :p, so definitely close enough haha. At that point though the detail is mostly injected by the tiling detail textures, but when you’re that close you don’t really notice them.

Mind taking a screenie? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow! Absolutely blown away by the seamless texturing. is truly amazing and inspiring work.

Amazing work!!!

Simply beautiful work, keep it up!

What can I say… Mother nature and NASA did all the hard work for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks peoples! Means a lot when you’re starting at it everyday of the week… The breakdown video will come eventually!

Holy mother of planets! Can’t wait for a tutorial/explanation. I’ve showed the screens to my colleague and he also said that is an incredible piece of work.

I could make use of for a project I’m working on, do you have an ETA for public release of the assets or do you not plan to release it publicly?

I can answer that one for you :slight_smile:

He is building as part of a cinematic mission control experience for a Satellite Control Station, so he won’t be able to provide any downloads for the project.