UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ERROR: System.UnauthorizedAccessException:

Hi
I am trying to package an UE5 EA project and currently I am getting this error:

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ERROR: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\gputh\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\XmlConfigCache-C+Program Files+Epic Games+UE_5.0EA.bin’ is denied.

This is apart from the “SDK not setup for Windows” pop-up, for which I followed the instruction to copy the “hostfxr.dll” package to DotNET/AutomationTools folder.

For the above error, I tried the following:

1. Verified the UE5 installation for any errors (from EPIC Launcher page
  2. Changed properties of VS2017 & 2019 to “Run as Administrator”.

However, I continue to get this error.
Any help is appreciated.

Regards
GPuthige

Hi @GPuthige,
Your violation is may be due to the fact that your Apps folder is still hidden and inaccessible.

My picture shows the Windows Properties of the file

This file contains a pointer to a file generated by the command GenerateProjectFiles.bat -2019 when building from the UE5EA2 source.

The file can be copied from the original distribution kit, but I think the is a Win 10 file protection problem.
When looking at the properties AppData security you should see your username and Administrator rights.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro in a domain, you will have to ask your IT security to adjust this.

Thanks a ton Jimbohalo10. Yes the file was hidden and I just unchecked to unhide it. Now the build has started.

However, I now have another issue that after all the compiling, the build failed with an error:
Error: Cook failed.

The culprit this time seems to be
“Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h] [Line: 890]”

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Gp

Hi @GPuthige,
The version you are using is the binary version, whereas I am using the source version. I am using VS 2022 Preview, you will be using VS2017.

However, I believe the problem lies in Cooking and I think you have to do cooking first of all

If you cannot complete this, which will take about 40 minutes, then there is little that can be done.

I expect this may be the problem as the code seems to be looking for the packed cooking store.

There is little that can be done because my source builds the UE5EA2 won’t package. My repository [ue5-main] will package, but it takes 18 hours to build on AMD 6 core/16GB/SSD. It’s maintained by Epic each day and is the leading edge likely to break and needs VS 2022 Preview. It for hardcore developers like me!:sunglasses::rofl:.

Visual Studio 2022 Preview 4 now builds and runs [ue5-main-vs2022]
For those developers, the answer in the source code is at about line 90

• Implicit conversion of TSharedPtr/TSharedRef
    to bool is not supported yet

Good Luck you will need it!

Thanks once again @Jimbohalo10 for the quick and detailed response. I guess I am a generation behind you and hope to be there some day soon :grinning:

I tried to ‘Cook content’ first before packing the project and as mentioned by you, this did not complete.
After that I tried to package an blank project and the result was the same.

Some search later, I found that the culprit in this case could be the Quixel Bridge update for 5ea2. So, when I package the blank project without the Bridge plugin, it completes without any issue.

I am yet to try out the work-arounds mentioned to overcome this issue (since my scene has a lot of quixel materials), but I am sure this will be set right soon.

Not sure if this has any impact with the different process being adopted by you.

Regards
Gp

hi @GPuthige,
This Quixel problems has been discussed a lot in some threads particularly this one
Updated Quixel Bridge Broke Packaging
Well at least you are getting somewhere with this :slight_smile:

hi @GPuthige, My VS2022/VS2019 UE5 EA2 source code
Visual Studio 2022version works with a blank project and the Quixel Bridge plugin.

I tried the [ue5-main] source version [ue5-main-vs2022]and it worked as well they use version a later version

I know HoloLens 2 VR headset won’t package under the UE5 EA 2 Binary.

I don’t know why the binary version does not work

Hi @Jimbohalo10. Thanks for taking time to check this out and for the update.

I am currently trying to see if my project works without using the bridge. Since it is a fairly big project, I need to clean up all the materials and other assets used in the scene first.

Would love to know how your test comes through.

Regards
Gp

hi @GPuthige,
This is what I have written to support@quixel.com

This is a report on behalf of 2 developers and 4 big users of Quixel Bridge

Summary
There are many reports that the BINARY version of UE5 Early Access version 2
does not work with the BINARY version of Quixel Bridge 2021.0.3
whilst trying to Cook a package for Windows.

its specific to BINARY version

Version: 5.0.0-16682836+++UE5+Release-5.0-EarlyAccess and with the BINARY Bridge 2021.0.3

All the SOURCE code versions 5.0 EA2 or UE 5.1-main built by me using
VS 2019/VS2017 or VS2022 RC1 Preview 5

ALL WORK with the Bridge 2021.0.3

The problem for the four big users of Quixel Bridge is they have converted them
UE4 project to UE5.0 EA 2 with Quixel Bridge 2021.0.1 using the BINARY versions
now UE5.0 EA 2 with Quixel Bridge 2021.0.1 using the BINARY does not work
see crash dump below

They do NOT have access to the SOURCE version because they are not developers
they don’t have of want the skill. There skill is in graphics design, taking models
from Quixel Bridge and using them to package their design.

The Problem and how we replicated the problem.

Download UE 5.0 from Epic Games Launcher ->Unreal Engine → Library 5.0.0 Early Access 2
Wait for Quixel Bridge to load it Queued and loads after UE5 for some strange reason.
Open with the UE5 Early Access shortcut that’s on the desktop.

Go Games → Blank project → add project name and create the project.

From the File Menu → Plugins. in the plugins search bar type Bridge.
Check that Bridge is enabled. Close Plugins Screen.

Click the double right arrows and Select Platform → Windows → Under Content Management Click Cook
Click on the Show output button and watch the Output log
Log starts with
LogD3D11RHI: Loaded GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll
LogICUInternationalization: ICU TimeZone Detection - Raw Offset: +0:00, Platform Override: ‘’
LogPluginManager: Mounting plugin Bridge

After Approximately 420 seconds the cook will fail
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogShaderCompilers: Display: Shaders left to compile 0
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogOutputDevice: Warning:
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows):
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): Script Stack (0 frames):
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows):
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: begin: stack for UAT
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: === Critical error: ===
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error:
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h] [Line: 890]
========================================the error is here below============================================
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff8f0100659 UnrealEditor-Bridge.dll!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff8f0100b33 UnrealEditor-Bridge.dll!UnknownFunction []
========================================the error is here Above============================================

UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff957b45c3a UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff69aabff75 UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff69aac0baf UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff69aac0c0a UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff69aad573d UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff69aad7a3e UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff98bfa7034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff98da22651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogWindows: Error: end: stack for UAT
PackagingResults: Error: begin: stack for UAT
PackagingResults: Error: === Critical error: ===
PackagingResults: Error: Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h] [Line: 890]

========================================the error is here below============================================
PackagingResults: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff8f0100659 UnrealEditor-Bridge.dll!UnknownFunction []
PackagingResults: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff8f0100b33 UnrealEditor-Bridge.dll!UnknownFunction []

========================================the error is here Above============================================

UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): Took 419.8644046s to run UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe, ExitCode=3
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): ERROR: Cook failed.
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): (see C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_5.0EA\Log.txt for full exception trace)
PackagingResults: Error: Cook failed.

Now to prove the Cook build works WITHOUT the Bridge plugin.

Go Games → Blank project → add project name and create the new project2.

From the File Menu → Plugins. in the plugins search bar type Bridge.
Uncheck that Bridge and therefore disable Bridge.
Click the Restart Editor function
Close Plugins Screen.

Click the double right arrows and Select Platform → Windows → Under Content Management Click Cook
Click on the Show output button and watch the Output log
Log starts with No Bridge Plugin loaded

LogPlatformFile: Not using cached read wrapper
LogStats: Stats thread started at 0.229677
LogD3D11RHI: Loaded GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll
LogICUInternationalization: ICU TimeZone Detection - Raw Offset: +0:00, Platform Override: ‘’
LogPluginManager: Mounting plugin MeshPainting <— No Bridge Plugin loaded

UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogShaderCompilers: Display: Shaders left to compile 0
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogHttp: Display: cleaning up 0 outstanding Http requests.
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): LogContentStreaming: Display: There are 1 unreleased StreamingManagers
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): Took 16.176418299999998s to run UnrealEditor-Cmd.exe, ExitCode=0
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): ********** COOK COMMAND COMPLETED **********
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): BUILD SUCCESSFUL
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=0 (Success)
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): Updating environment variables set by a Turnkey sub-process
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): The system cannot find the path specified.
UATHelper: Cooking (Windows): The system cannot find the path specified.

Final Summary

We the Elite Indie Epic Developers and Indie Support :slight_smile:

Have no way to fix this BINARY problem, often we manage to convert graphics designers into developers using the source code versions
by using my well-tested methods, and we the Indie Developers support them.
But in most cases, they just want to fix their work with Mega Scans

Thanks
Jimbo

Wow! That’s a very detailed error escalation !!! Thanks once again for all the efforts taken on this by you @Jimbohalo10. Much Appreciated !! :+1: :+1:

BTW, I have been able to cook and compile my Project without using any Quixel materials and also by disabling the Bridge Plugin.

I am sure Quixel will take action on this soon.

Regards
Gp

Hi @GPuthige,
This has been fixed and an update made
Quixel Bridge 21.0.4 Update to Unreal 5.0 EA2 Epic Launcher Binary version
Thanks again Jimbo

Thanks once again @Jimbohalo10 for all the support. This is my first entry into the forum world, and already I am feeling part of the community.

Regards
Gp

1 Like