U.E skips frames when embedding Video. Test project included in post for others to try.

Hi all, I’m fairly new to U.E (but experienced in Blender & Video Production in general), & have been testing the U.E render engine with a view to moving my workflow over to U.E for Music Video production.

I’ve come across this exact problem, & have been struggling for the last week trying to fix it.

In an attempt to understand the issue, I’ve created a very simple test scene with a few primitives in, a camera move , & a clip of video showing timecode mapped to an upright plane (as per the U.E documentation for displaying in-engine Video Play a Video File | Unreal Engine Documentation).

I’m working at 25fps, but the process should be identical , regardless of chosen frame rate.

This is end result is linked to below. Its’ in dropbox, so best downloaded to you desktop, where you can step through it a frame at a time.

After a weird few frames at the start (where I guess U.E is getting its act together), It looks ok when you initially watch it…but…if you step through a frame at a time, you can see there are often two of the same frames in a row, then a frame skipped…& sometimes just a frame skipped without a repeat…in other words, its a mess, & this is a simple scene with one embedded video clip.

I’ve been trying every possible combination of render output & have still had no luck. I’ve tired the regular render-tab on the Sequencer, & also the ‘high-quality’ one though the render-que. Either way, it screws up.

The interesting thing, is that the 3d objects & camera moves are perfectly rendered, so it seems that U.E is failing to lock in-game-video to the render frame rate.

F.y.i I’ve also tried adjustments in the level blueprint that lock U.E to 25 fps . The 25fps lock works, but it still has no affect on the frame jumping in the rendered output.

If anyone wants to do some testing with this exact project, I’ve also zipped it up for you here:

Hoping one of us can figure this out, & I can’t wait to start using U.E with embedded videos.

Cheers

Ru Cook, http://www.lostboysstudio.com, U.K