Two meshes, same material treated differently. Why? [video]

I followed this guide for a vertical dissolve material, and I’ve completed it but I’ve discovered that some of my custom meshes do not vertically dissolve and are treated differently than the default shapes.

Guide: Disintegrating Baddies: Dissolve Effects in UE4

My Video: https://youtu.be/YgcdhoS41-U

In the video, you can see that:

• In the material editor preview, the dissolve animation works well against the standard meshes but not well against my fbx mesh, which is an 8 sided tall hexagon.
  • In the mesh viewer, this is also the case. The custom shape just blinks on or off, and the default cube uses the correct animation.
  • I’ve reviewed the mesh parameters, and both meshes have the same settings from what I can tell.

Does anyone know why this won’t work on this mesh? I’ve attached the mesh on the chance that something is wrong with it, and someone is able to help.

Thanks.

you mesh needs to have a UV set encompassing the whole height in the correct uv channel.

Can you explain that a little more? Is that a mesh import/export option that I may have missed?

Your mesh does not have any UV data which is used for texture display and by your dissolve material.
By default it included during import so either you did not created it or accidentally excluded it during export from your software.
If you’re not familiar with UV concept at all then I recommend to read about there

I’m familiar with the concept but have never attempted to implement it. Last night I ended up attempting this but I wasn’t able to resolve my issue and ended up just using a sphere in ue4 as a placeholder.

I’ve tried this now with both a custom shape and a basic cylindrical shape and I can’t seem to get it right. For both cases, I use sketchup which has free extensions for this that allow the user to wrap/unwrap the object using a custom or grid material like found in that link.

My problem there is that when I load import the material from sketchup to ue4, ue4 converts each face into a shader creating multiple textures and materials. A 50-face shape results in about 200 shaders being loaded.

Do you know why it might be loading everything as a separate face and not as a single material?

Thanks,

I guess you meant “mesh”, not “material”?
I’m not familiar with SketchUp to UE4 workflow so I can’t say what exactly is wrong.
I’ve watched this video with exporting mesh from SketchUp and everything works correctly…
Also, I found these tutorial series, might be helpful

Unfortunately, it actually creates many multiples instead of using the same one. Exporting shapes has always worked but the end result of mapping a UV and importing it should be a single material for the elements per object?

For instance, if your mesh needs 3 distinct textures with a required UV for directional interpretation, you might need 3 UV map textures used in the model? Other color-based materials work fine importing the model with different colored faces, from what I can tell and then replacing them later.

Hey ski free, im definately interested in whatever you figure out. I’m a noob working with UE4 and sketchup, and have been doing alot of reading and seem to always get stuck in the middle of import issues to ue4. Many say it cant be done easily, but studios are doing it so the recipe has to be out there.