[Twitch] Unreal Engine 4.1 Tour - Apr. 24, 2014

I’d also really appreciate further info on Lionhead’s LVP, looks so promising!

I’m mostly interested in hearing more about the planned UI builder. I realize it’s way’s off, but hearing what Epic is thinking on how it might work would be awesome.

More of a suggestion than a question: I really like the State Machine interface and wish it could be used in more general contexts than driving the states of a skeletal mesh’s animation. For example, using it to drive the states of music playing or game flow in a turn-based game. These things can be accomplished without the State Machine, of course, but, it’s such a nice interface it would be a shame it weren’t possible to use it elsewhere.

• Do you plan to integrate the new translation system (still in beta) deeper into the engine? example: it integrates n future UI System, etc…
  • There are plans to export games to Mac using the PC, and vice-versa?
  • Plans to offer more support to 2D? Sprites editing, 2d colliders, etc?
  • Plans to upgrade FBX importer to FBX 2014 or 2015 sdk?

Funny no one answered your question. Tim said there is no hardcoded limit. I think this is something you would have to discover on your own in your project.

Not sure about this part. Can’t recall a direct limit to the # of players participating in a battle. I was fortunate to participate in some pretty big wars when I played.

• update on Behavior Trees ?
  • is a Landscape independent SplineActor planned ? (like the ue3 one)
  • updates on vehicle code ?

-Project Templates like a Gears of war style camera and cover system in Blueprint or C++.
-Level streaming like a very large forest to mountain map.
-Building a house, are the outer walls separate from the inner structure say, the ceiling, floor and walls, and how would you set that up to get it to properly streaming in a level.

• Any update on collision meshes for static meshes placed via the foilage tool?

• What is the current state of the official documentation, eg C++ API and Blueprint API?

• as others have asked, any plans for sample vehicle content, either C++ vehicle or BP?

1. Information about Perforce integration / setup… (not the perforce side of things but more the unreal engine integration side of things)

looking forward to the stream anyway!

Any chance of a polished iOS development and deployment workflow from PC, like in UDK?
Or if its not possible, at least a step by step documentation for the process of compiling iOS projects from a PC (with a Mac connected via network).

This is going to be good, Lots of questions should be answered today.

When is vehicle support coming? D:

Are there any new audio-related features in the plans? I never hear anyone talk or ask about audio so I was curious.

+1, audio needs some improving for sure. It is so basic right now.

Read this about the new 4.1 release:

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I think applying the above steps would make the project unable to open/compile with 4.0 version of the engine.

If that’s the case, is there a way to make a duplicate of the project and then upgarde the duplicate, so the older folder is still able to be opened by 4.0 while the new one is for 4.1 . I know we can make a copy of the folder, but isn’t going to be some conflicts, because of the same name and IDs?

And if it is, is there a way to resolve the conflict, even by hand?

Thanks guys.

(Audio) You guys have full source access. You could probably hookup Wwise on your own esp if the license for it is still cheap for indies like it used to be.

In the old unreal I hooked up Fmod

just an option

4.2 in few days? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW !

Is there an ETA on what said the other day? It’s kinda crucial for platformers. :slight_smile:

thankyou for the vehicle info, nice to hear there’s progress
sorry can’t login into twitch atm !!!
but watching
:slight_smile:

[Question]
Any info about using BSPs workflow like geometry in Sketchup or something similar?

Thanks again for relaying my question, Dana. :slight_smile:

For clarity, currently, Characters use CapsuleComponents for collisions. The problem is, the top and bottom of a capsule are rounded. That isn’t the case on any platformer game I’m aware of, so it creates really strange collision situations when you’re hitting the corner of a platform either above or below. It should be either you fall straight down and you don’t collide with it, or you fall on the platform and you collide with it, but with a rounded bottom, there is this strange halfway point where you collide with the platform horizontally, but the vertical collision doesn’t match where your character’s feet are, so it looks like you’re standing below the platform. Here’s an example:

2dPlatformer-01.png&d=1396446523

One way of dealing with this issue is to change the max perch height, but all that does is make the capsule slide off the edge of the platform, which is pretty far from ideal. So the solution is to change the basis of collision detection to use a box (or a cylinder). The problem there is that making that change involves going through something like 13k lines of code to account for every function that assumes a Capsule is being used for collision, which is incredibly time-consuming, but is necessary for any and all *good *platformer games.