Twitch Training Stream - Creating a 2D Side-Scroller p.4 - April 26th, Live from Epic HQ

Hey Alan,

I’m a huge fan of your tutorials, and I feel that there was a great deal of accomplishments made in this last tutorial, but I feel something is missing, or i’ve missed something in the ladder section. I can’t get my character to stop on top of the plane, but before I even get that far I can’t get my ray from the LineTraceByChannel. My problem is (and correct me if this was covered in the video) I don’t know when to call the custom event for DetectLadder. I’ve tried running it through OnCollision, and casting to BP_Dude, but nothing seems to be working correctly for me. I’ve looked through all of your screen shots, and spent almost 14 hours going over just this section, and can’t seem to find where you are calling DetectLadder. Is there any way you could help me out my friend?

Kinekon, Isn’t that in the Event Graph of the ladder blueprint? When you set your can climb boolean of your character to true. After the OnComponentBeginOverlap? Or isn’t that what your looking for?

Actually, Tricktronix posted the answer for my question. Apparently I’d missed it the first time. Now I have it all solved, except some graphic issues where my character doesn’t show until i’ve moved horizontally one frame, and for some reason I keep walking behind my ladders. heh, these happened during my time trying to fix the mechanics of the ladders, not sure what I did. But, I did figure out my ladder problem, and thank you so much!

after following this tutorial i seem to not be able to jump. i have the old jump setup from one of the other tutorials. i could see in one of the scenes from the tutorial you have changed the jumping system? maybe this change is whats preventing me from jumping. also whilst im on the subject of jumping i seem to have unlimited amounts of jumps. i mean i can keep pressing the jump key and fly off into the sky! haha

Can anyone upload an entire BP_Dude screenshot please?
has changed a lot of things on this video

hey
before everything thanks for making tutorials :slight_smile:
i start watching your tutorials . in first video you download source from this topic ! but i can’t found source here ! where can i download source ?!

I couldn’t find where you called the custom Event DetectLadder, so I called it directly after the event Input Axis MoveUp. While it works functionally, I am having a few big problems.

1. First, the character sprite goes behind the ladder, not in front of it.

2. Second, if you are near the top of the ladder and press “s” and “d” at the same time, something a player might do when trying to go back down the ladder mid-run, the character sprite enters the climbing state without actually being on the ladder and can then fly around the map while in the climbing animation.

3. And finally, when my character walks in front of the ladder, his movement is slowed dramatically for some reason.

Can anyone tell how to fix some of these problems?

In the video stated that he would post the game so we could look at what has been done. Did he ever post a link to where it could be downloaded?

In the 4th video for the series was going over setting up the different projectiles, but never finished it and then jumped to the finished version where he had the Weapon Parameters collapsed so it was not shown how he setup the rest of the weapon system. Does anyone have a finished version of the Weapon Parameter and can post a sheet shot.
Thanks

cant find source.zip

Where is the source to begin this project?

It was in part 1, I’ve updated this post to have better links now.

Thank you so much sr :wink:

How did you fixed it? I have the same problem.

Alan,

Would it be possible to upload this project? I know the tutorials are probably over for this series but there are a few things that weren’t mentioned that much in the videos. (I.E. StaticMesh in BP_Ladder, SpriteMaterial in BP_Dude) There are also some settings that I just wanted to make sure were correct. I currently have a ladder that I can place but cannot move from its location.

I’m also using UE 4.16.2

Can anyone please upload the Project. I need BP Sources.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

@ceng4aver

the download link in the original post doesn’t work for you?

The Download Link contains only Source_Pictures. I’ve lost thread after Part 3. BP in Part 4 is totally diffrent than other Parts.

Hey,

Not sure if these old threads still get any reply’s. Near the end of the video, switches over to the finished project. Before that happens he shows how to make the colour change for the different weapons. In the newer version, he has taken out the Set Vector Parameter Value on Materials node and has replaced it with a Grey Coloured node called SetWeaponParameters [collapsed graph]. This is at 53:27 into the video, does anybody have any insight as to what that node is or how he built it? Currently, I am unable to use any of the other parameters created in the WeaponData.