[Twitch] Tools - May 1, 2014. Blueprints stream - May 8, 2014

I am looking forward to the support for Blender. I don’t have the money for Maya or 3d . So this will be great!!

It’s great to see how Epic listens to the community. Professionals probably use Maya or 3DS, so UE never really had to bother much with Blender. But with the new affordable licensing a lot of indies are coming to the engine who will often prefer Blender over the other expensive options.

That is what I like about Epic.

Hey Epic Games,

I posted this on the Blender Artists forums as well as sent a news tip submission to Blendernation. Which I expect it to be going up soonish…

Thank you for supporting Blender. Expect more people showing up tomorrow for the LiveStream just to hear about blender support. :slight_smile:

Good idea. People over on the Blender forums seem to be interested as well. It might be a good idea to move this topic closer to the beginning for those people who are just tuning in for this part. Either way, this live stream will be very interesting, Blueprint pastebin, Slate UI, Blender, Sequencer… nice!

+1 for better Blender Support!

On the topic of tools, I vaguely recall mention of there being some integration with Excel. If I’m remembering correctly:

How does it work? Does the engine read the .xls file or is it via OLE? Can we access the imported data via blueprints? Any thoughts on supporting other formats, such as OpenOffice/LibreOffice/Google Docs (via Google App Script formatting the data into json or whatever), or even just .csv, json, relational databases, xml, or whatever other formats people store data with?

Hi Drekmonger,

It’s actually .csv import, so anything that can export to .csv will work; our designers use Excel. It’s not currently exposed to Blueprints, you need to create new subclasses of FTableRowBase with the properties you want to import, and UDataTable stores/manages a collection of rows. We’d like to improve access to this data in Blueprints in the future, but don’t have any immediate plans, although custom struct support will probably make it much easier now.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

Please, give us some good news about Root Motion, because right now, it is a pain in the a** to use, and it is very unstable.

Video that show bugs with root motion:

(Question) Does UE4 support PS4 controller for PC? if not when?

Curiosity sated. Thanks for the answer!

Tools question: A Road editor???

://i.imgur/Clv0YSA.png

Hey,

I missed the livestream. When Will these be going up on youtube?

Just curious :slight_smile:

EDIT: I found the video here

Thanks for posting that link, , I was just about to do so. :slight_smile:

Our Twitch channel automatically archives streams so you can watch <1 hour after we wrap:
://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/524849165

We’ll also be posting a ‘clean’ version to YouTube/UnrealEngine by early next week.

Thanks for the stream as usual! Lots of exciting sneak peeks. :slight_smile:
Also thanks for making quality selection available for Twitch. I was able to watch without lagging this time.

Working toward better Blender support sounds awesome! Very exciting.

Question: what is the best way to share glitchy Blender assets with Unreal Engine developers? The forums? Some other system? What if I want to share with you, but maybe not as public as the forums?

Thanks!

The spline tool does this as is. The content examples show the spline tool in use, with roads in specific.

Please see this post for how to submit blender assets: https://answers.unrealengine/questions/20832/epic-official-fbx-import-reporting.html

Note: Having the .blend file is extremely useful since often importing FBX back into Blender to test is a difficult process.

We are working on providing a way to submit these directly to us without being publicly visible but for now that isnt ready. If you can’t share one of your production assets anything no matter how simple that reproduces the problem would be helpful.

Questions for Thursday - May 8th live stream -

1. Are there plans for real time collaboration within unreal engine 4 editor for remote teams?
    Ideally:
    I would like to see a solution where we can host a dedicated server for other developers to connect to it.
    Have assets be populated into our content browser.
    When that is done we can start dragging out our static meshes, Blueprints, etc. and updates will happen in the editor in realtime across our teams computers.

2. Questions regarding Unreal Engines 2D Abilities -

• Will there be support for various grid types for reference within unreal engine? Examples being - Hex Grid, Top Down, Isometric, etc. not just side scrolling.
  • Will there be a dedicated map editor similar to tiled map editor but taliored specific for Unreal Engine 4?
  1. Will there be some form of Vehicle interior editor for Unreal Engine 4?
  1. Would it be possible to Sandbox Unreal engine 4?

2. In regards to Unreal Tournament 4

• Please do not make it free 2 play… I do not want to pay for hats, Weapons, and sixty dollar monocles.
  • Please Include mod tools as well.