[Twitch] Support Stream – Paper 2D Basics – Jan. 27th, 2015

The next stream is all about Paper 2D best practices in UE4.

WHAT

and walk us through the latest Paper 2D features, tips, and tricks in UE4 release 4.6.

WHERE

WHEN

Tuesday, Jan. 27th @ 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST Countdown]

WHO

, Developer Relations Tech Artist (@zakparrish]())

, Sr. Engine Programmer (@joatski](https://twitter.com/joatski))

Palomino, Developer Support Manager (@seanpalomino](https://twitter.com/SeanPalomino))

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember: While we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Unreal Engine Support Team

Edit: The YouTube archive is up here](Unreal Stick Figure 2D | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube)

Yay! I’m definitely in for one too! :smiley:

Would be cool if time instead of working with the typical 2D lateral platform, you chose to show those features, tips and tricks with another perspective type. Like those in the old fashion 2D RPGs (FF6, Chrono Trigger, Alundra, etc and so on). Haha so yeah i’m wondering howe har would it be to work with that kind of perspective.

Good job as always and waiting for stream.

Unreal Editor screen/slides,… at 1080p and 1080p bitrate YouTube version please.

Sounds awesome, count me in!

hi
[questions]
pls say about sprite option menu parameterPixel per unit, what best value i must using for create my 2d game assets (with 1080p 16*9 ratio ) for best results(now i use 1.28).

2 How i can get size of sprite in world(for example sprits can be different sizes if Pixel per unit has different value in sprite option), for now i placed it in level and count size(like in image below) manually for each sprite(i need for my procedural map generation for 2d runner)but its to long…
http://i.piccy.info/i9/75dfae2eac025867a2aa58c41a606af2/1422215423/173814/858517/Snymo3.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2015-01-25-19-50/i9-7633566/780x453-r/i.gif

and also pls add ability to dynamically change sprite on Add PaperSpriteComponent, because i only can set sprite in editor at once, but if i need later(in game)change it i cant do that. For example one time i need one sprite and another second sprite(so in situation for other components I normally create array of different staff same type and send them on random to my components, but in PaperSpriteComponent i don’t have pin where i can connect my array with sprites).

http://i.piccy.info/i9/f7e7f085fd4d260ae42340027a760b2a/1422216486/44904/858517/Snymok2_800.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2015-01-25-20-08/i9-7633694/800x256-r/i.gif

[request]
1 add ability to get end of flipbook (in loop mode).
2 ability to add event, spawn particles, play sounds to flipbooks timeline(like in persona skeletal mesh timeline)

Hi Zip,

1. Pixels per unreal unit is basically just a way to rescale pixel artwork to nice ‘decimal’ grid sizes. You can set it to 1.0 and then you will have one pixel per centimeter (1:1 pixel to uu), but that would make a 256 pixel image be a weird grid size. What you set it to is really up to you, but try to keep gameplay values in the standard range (e.g., your character should be in the 0.5 to 3 m range = 50 to 300 units sort of height, not 1 unit or 1000 units high), as that’s where physics works best.

2. Call Get Bounds on the component.

3. You can call SetSprite on ReturnValue of the Add PaperSpriteComponent node in order to change what sprite is being drawn.

RE: Flipbooks: I’d really like to get to the point where you can use the existing animation system (allowing anim BPs, the rich notify system, montages, etc…) for 2D animations (either replacing flipbooks entirely, or relegating them to a niche) but it will be a while before we get there. For now, you could have a timeline component associated with each flipbook in order to provide events/curves/etc… for triggering particles and sounds.

Cheers,

Have been trying - running into a few technical constraints but we’re working on it!

Is there any to talk a bit about the roadmap of Paper2D and ETAs?

Sprite Batching:
When? and what requirements? For example, I’m using pre-made atlas (using texturepacker), using two textures for each sprite material (alpha and RGB) for ETC1 compression issues. Will the engine batch together sprites using the same material?

PaperSprite rendering over UMG ?
It would be awesome to have a way to render PaperSprites (and other things like particles) over UMG (ie. having a UMG widget which images are sprites).

Sprites using custom textures.
Right now I’m using the workaround Nolland suggested me: using special material which encapsulates an alpha texture.
When will be able to use more than one texture per sprite? (at least a separate alpha mask).

2D bone animation support:
It has been in the wishlist for eons. I have developed a custom plugin for importing Spriter based animations and it works nice for my use cases but it would be desirable to have a better animation system than flipbooks.

Countdown doesn’t work for Europe or Twitch is already finished ?

It is 5 hours from now :slight_smile: See you there

Countdown fix: here

could be interesting!

2 hours :smiley: (Aasmund1986 on Twitch, for those who didnt know)

Dang it, didn’t get home till 4:30, sry I missed it.

, here it says still 2 hours, but is it over?

I’m in! Droghtak nickname

Where does it say still 2 hours?

Oh nevermind… !!! tsk tsk… you put the wrong time in! :stuck_out_tongue:

Stream ended 2 hours ago, it’s always 2pm EST (EST is -5 hours from GMT, so always 7pm GMT). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you missed it.

EDIT: Actually, my bad , that countdown timer is now counting the time since the stream started, not the time until it starts. I’ll let you off the hook time. is to blame it seems, tsk tsk … :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah just noticed ! what a pity … I hope some of my questions got answered :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, no problem :stuck_out_tongue: Im sure they will put it online soon.

upload the video!