[Twitch] NEW! Training Stream - Spline and Spline Mesh Components - Dec. 9, 2014

WHAT
You’ve asked for Zak, and we’re delivering! In this Livestream Tutorial we’ll show how to use both Spline and Spline Mesh Components to construct an easy-to-use racetrack generator tool in UE4. Viewers will learn about custom structs, functions with local variables, using for loops, and much more!

WHEN
Tuesday, Dec. 9th @ 3:30PM - 5:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE

WHO

• Developer Relations Technical Artist

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

EDIT: Grab the files from Zak from this post if you’d like to follow along!

EDIT: The YouTube Archive is now available here](Using Splines & Spline Components | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube).

My question for the Zak:

I’d like to see how to make railroad tracks including various switch options through BP. :slight_smile:

For example, being able to add a switch, by clicking anywhere along the spline path that will automatically branch off, add the necessary geometry, etc.

I guess roads need the same for intersections with traffic lights and what not, but I love trains more than cars. :smiley:

Zak is cool. English is not my native language, but i understand him with half word.

Yes, please keep him for youtube channel only ^^ :stuck_out_tongue:

Zak is returning!

You’d be amazed at what we have to do to keep Zak off the camera actually. We send him to far off lands and sometimes tie him to his chair at his desk. Otherwise he would probably just sit on camera and talk about Unreal 24 hours a day.

We’re going to get other people involved in future streams as well. will definitely be making appearances, and maybe we can get the great to stop by and show you guys some stuff. We will get some of the programmers to show some coding examples too. There is even a rumor may drop some knowledge bombs from time to time.

Don’t miss these live training streams! They’re going to be much more focused on creating actual real-world examples than the other streams. Great stuff for all of the Unreal Engine developers out there.

0oooo0000oooo000oo

Already can’t wait for more!

have you tried duct tape? :cool:

And these training streams are so enticing & a great idea, just wish there was some docs or outlines we could look back on.
And some way to look them up and compare or work thru the training later on.
Did I mention videos, docs, & a tad bit of outline on how to apply all this information?

Also, still looking for some of the seminars or talks ya’ll have given recently while visiting far away lands. Hint

I’m still collecting’s presentations from the East Coast Dev Tour. Will let know when they’re available! In the meantime, you can check out Unreal Engine – Guides und Whitepapers to find a ton of other talks given at similar events (and some that were echoed at the ECDT).

Thanks!

The stream is essentially the video portion. Each stream will be archived and available in a special category in the video section of the documentation. I don’t see us re-recording the project as a series of videos. That’s a lot of work and I don’t know that it would provide added value beyond what the stream already provides. It’s always possible we will convert them to written how-to’s at some point, but it won’t be tied to when the streams occur. I’ll see about the possibility of providing outlines. If an outline exists, we would be happy to provide it!

thx &

, are all those presentations in PowerPoint or something, is there another way to access them?

and I understand it would be hard to break those down, , but a detailed summary or commentary / outline, like a BP example would be nice afterwards showing it’s implementation. wouldn’t have to be complex even, kind of a follow up.

but either way, thx guys. I’m looking forward to the twitch training streams

cough -> ‘after hours of streaming and the sun starts to go down’

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BzKnAtkCk9VwWkZNYnhmQmFzVWM

We upload the as .pptx files so you can see the presenters notes as well as the slides. Lot’s of good stuff in there :).
We’ll see if we can get them to a place where they can be exported with notes in a usable fashion.

Greeeeeaaaat! :smiley: I was just going to ask if we can have him in Livestream :smiley:

[A Question for The Zak]
How would you use the spline editor to build roads with 3 and 4 way intersections?

Hi I’m trying to use a spline with spline mesh to display and aim the trajectory of a missile that would be launched form the player. I’m having trouble attaching the spline to the player actor at spline point 0 and adjusting points 1 and 2 out away from the player to show the trajectory. I’m attaching the spline to the actor as I would any other pawn with snap to selected and I have made sure the spline component is movable as well as the attached spline mesh but the blueprint stays at the spawn location instead of following the player. Is there anything special about splines that I need to consider when attaching to an actor?

Is there a way to set rotation/tangents for spline points at runtime?

Example, I have a spline used as a path for an object to follow, but its starting point isn’t where the object currently is. My solution is to copy the object location and all of the spline points into an array then create a new set of spline points with these given locations. This however breaks any custom rotations or tangents and I don’t see a way to set spline point rotations/tangents in code or C++, only a way to GET them.

To be specific, I’m talking about Spline Components without Spline Mesh.

Will start in 30 minutes ?

2 hrs 30 min from right now

Countdown shows 45 min (;.

blast! fixing now…