[Twitch] Landscape Mountains Demo and More - Aug. 21, 2014

Offtopic question probably better suited to Lina.

Regarding the Pose Animation on the roadmap, could that in theory be used as networked interpolated animation system as sort of a keyframe?
I’m thinking in the context of a hybrid physics system where you have a character that is both simulated on the server and on the client. For simplicity’s sake, consider a ragdoll as an example.

It would be expensive to have the server update every movement of a ragdoll, but to capture poses at certain intervals or based on major collision events and have the client side simulation interpolate those keyframes from the server’s simulation might be something that can work.

Some Questions, even if not directly on topic:

• Now, that Epic UK is a thing, can we expect something like a Europen DEV Tour? :smiley:
  • Do you have any play on releasing some more in depth VIdeo Tutorials on UE4 Audio Systems? I just looked into that topic yesterday and it doesnt seem to be covered too good.
  • Will there be more indepth C++ tutorials in the future?
  • Blueprints seems to have some neat helper functions (Look At Rotation for example), that seem to be missing in C++. As someone who tends to prorotype in BP first and then reimplementing it in C++, it would be great to have the same functions in C++.
  • In the launcher it says, that UE4 Subscribers will at some point be able to participate in the Fortnite Beta. Does only work for people who have an active subscription when the beta start, or will everybody who ever was subscribed be able to join?
  • Is there an ETA for Paper2D to be considered finished (version like?). Maybe 4.5. Pretty please. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.
  • Not a Question, but a compliment instead and feel free to read it out loud on stream: I think the way you guys at epic handle your community is unmatched right now. The open dialogue and integration with us, makes us feel like you care about us. You are a blessing for the indie community and I hope other engine developers will follow your example.

Love you all :slight_smile:

• 1 for :slight_smile: …and then come to Austria (I will organise a “Schnitzel” buffet) :stuck_out_tongue:

I also would like to work on my level in manner, however I cannot seem to find a way to export out the heightmap created in the editor, have you had any luck with Inside? I have looked through the tools and couldn’t find a way to do if you start the terrain creation in the editor…

So Epic, my question: Is there a way to export a heightmap created in the UE4 landscape editor so it can be modified in a separate program?

I completely agree here though, would be the best option.

Question: What are your long term plans for the UE4 terrain system?

Another Question for You
Is there any more information that you can share with us today about the large, open world map support?

Question for marketplace.
What’s the best way to prepare assets for future engine updates?
EXAMPLE: For audio sound , Should they be packaged with different audio formats just in case a file type won’t be useable in a future update.
Game on!

If you’re not working with Tiles, the answer is Yes! See Wiki page: https://wiki.unrealengine/Landscape_-_World_Machine_perfect_integration

How come you guys didn’t talk about EGX at all today :(?

:smiley: Would be good to know when we receive an e-mail with either a yes or a no (havent got one)

Thanks for , as mentioned during the chat stream, I am going to start right clicking on everything in the editor to see what else I might have missed! :stuck_out_tongue:

By tiles do you mean the world composition tool? I am using , but for now exporting each landscapes heightmap separately should work ok, I can just use the tools in the editor once I import the heightmap back in to match things up along the seams.

Is what you meant? or am I going about the wrong way? Thanks!