[Twitch] 4.6 Roadmap - Oct. 23, 2014

I’m also not sure what are you getting at. For that matter I’m not sure anyone except you know it. Since all do is claim there are instabilities, but you don’t point where they are.

I say as it is now engine is very stable. I can even say, that it is to stable and prevents making dramatic changes that could improve it further.

UMG was marked as experimental. I don’t see any problems. You used it at your own risk.

Changes to UI happen all the time in all software. I don’t see it as world ending problem either.

And as for FPS drop. Haven’t noticed it. For me it looks more or less the same as it was.

My three questions for stream.

• Do you plan to improve the foliage editor? And when do you plan approximately?
  • Will you add touch bending for foliage finally?
  • Do you plan to focus more on realtime lighting / realtime GI, etc.?

Thank you! Looking forward to your answers :slight_smile:

I’m guessing he’s either new to game development or that English isn’t his first language. Changes to the tools or the API doesn’t mean instability, software that crashes all the time is instability. Also that performance is to do with one specific and not all games will depend on it.

Both.
But not to development.

Non-the-less.
Stability of software doesn’t only means that software doesn’t crash.
Stability of UI.
Stability of developers API.
Stability of performance.
If you guys don’t understand it so be it. Non-the-less. Those (and others) all mean that software is stable or not.

It does. You simply are using very narrow meaning of the term. But the term is not constraint to software crashes only.

No, I neither. But it does mean that software is at unstable stage.
I didn’t see drastic changes in UDK from release to release in recent years. UI didn’t change all the time as you claim. You know why? Because UDK was stable. UE4 isn’t.

As for UE for being stable:

is constantly evolving software and if you can’t accept that then you’re best off starting your project on one version of the engine and sticking to it throughout the entire project. You don’t always need the latest and greatest to make a game.

Prefabs have 221 votes in trello but still in backlog, I miss from day one. Some planing for them.

No. UDK over past years didn’t changed much, because all developers moved to working on UE4.
UI changed quite a bit in UDK when it was still developed. There were added new things, mix and matched C# and C++ (WPF and WxWidgets). The base UI didn’t change much and that is the fact. Neither UE4 base changed much since beta.

I think you really don’t have past game development experience.
UE4 is as stable as game engine can be. Other engines make breaking changes all the time, without looking back.
In game development trying to stay backward compatible means one thing. You hurt engine development, and you hurt end users, by old things polluting code base.

Fortunately game development is the bastion (yet) (along with Linux kernel), where backwards compatibility is not priority. When something needs to be changed, to be better and break other stuff. So be it. Adjust or don’t update to new version.

Yes it can be annoying. But I’d rather have it, than being stuck with rotten code.

Previous versions are unstable to very unstable. McStryker’s post is best example of it.
How many examples do I need to provide? Just look at the thread on the forum and you see for yourself.

I am also of that opinion and the “famous” backward compatibility very often quoted on forums by language lawyers gets on my **** really seriously. So yes, I also rather have better engine which will break few previous things.
doesn’t change the fact, that at stage UE4 is at very unstable stage. I don’t remember UDK new releases breaking previous. Because UDK was stable, that’s all there is to it.

It already uses instancing, if you mean batching then yes that would be nice.

Will the latest LPV code from Lionhead make it into 4.6?

Really want to know UE4 has any plans on VR/simulation visualization?:

Like:
1.Does UE4 have any plan to support hosting UE4 in .NET Application(ActiveX)?
2.Does UE4 support NVIDIA 3D vision stereo or Quad Buffer support in OpenGL mode?
3…
is a reference of the Unigine engine:http://sim.unigine.com/platform/built_for_simulation/

When can we expect more control of steamed levels and the world browser using blueprint? IE: Spawning actors into streamed sub-levels, spawning steamed sub-levels at specific transforms, etc.

Thanks.

Add DirectX Stereo support

+1 I second about stereoscopic support should be easy to add now that left/right view support has been setup for Oculus… anyway I think DirectX stereoscopic support should be better as is now GPU vendor dependant like Nvidia 3D vision or AMD HD3D and is support on consumer cards not like sadly OGL quad buffer support…

Also note that Unity is shipping with stereo support (DX also)…
a simple sample is shipping showing how to integrate DX stereo to a DX renderer (Browse code samples | Microsoft Learn)…

Only bad thing are is Windows only but anyway we don’t get consumer stereo on other OSes right now and also that is also Windows 8 or newer I believe…

It would be much appreciated if we could get an update regarding Android rendering progress. I am beyond eager to see the platform support improve. I am still having to work with other game engines solely for reason. My head hurts from all the switching.
The only GPUs I can get any decent lighting out of have been Adreno in my tests.
Malis although both powerful and very popular GPUs still seem to prove nearly impossible to use.

I wish I had the skill and time to try and understand the reasons for .
I would very much like to ship something with a short dev cycle on the platform in the hopes it would fund work on more complex endevours.

Hello i noticed that Forward shading support (translucency, more shading models) is now in “Wishlist/Backlog” on the UE 4 Roadmap.
I may be wrong but I sort of had in my mind it was orginaly set to November?

When do you think we will see the implementation on ?

When is the foliage performance problem getting fixed? Its a huge problem, and sad that unity is so much better in department

Two words: render layers.
Need it!

Eek I need nice translucency! just made me finally create an account in Trello just to add my vote.