Trying to achieve the same lighting as The Witness

I agree. Looks like a lightmap UV issue to me.

The consistency of upwards-facing triangles being dark, is either a lightmap problem, or it’s a normal map problem.
If your normal map has the wrong facing/inverted orientation, or the wrong normal basis, you will get bad lighting response (light seemingly coming from the wrong direction.)
If you stick a point light 2m in front of the camera in this scene, do those shadows brighten up? If not, your normals are definitely wrong.
You can also use the “visualize buffers” debug drawing mode to see what the normals are on those surfaces.

I don’t think it’s the normals. I put a point light in front of the camera, and the normals seem fine.

Here’s a view of the normals

oh yeah, just check it in UE4. you can also set the shadow intensity/ and gamma thinggie in grading tab, give it a try

I dont think its a lightmap problem, it looks like the spots that are dark just receive shadow from atleast 2 objects.
But if you look at your reference you can see that it also has some dark shadows in some area’s, which is normal seeing as how it seems to be only lit by one sun light.

I suggest to play around with the Shadow Gain value of the post process volume

Can you change the view from lit to reflections and show a screenshot of that? My guess is your nearest reflection capture has something dark overhead, so anything in shadow/indirect light with a normal facing upwards is getting dark image based lighting (which I think multiplies against indirect bounce lighting or something similar, darkening it).

You can also turn on lightmap density and post a shot of that too to rule out UV islands overlapping within a texel or something.

I found a solution. For any other people who want to achieve this kind of lighting, grab your base color, multiply it by a value between 0.1 and 0.5 and put that into emission. Do that for all your materials and the shadows will be a lot lighter.