Trouble adding Blueprint HUD to C++ Project

Using 4.4.3

Pretty basic question:
I am using the side-scroller c++ template and wanted to add a blueprint created HUD.

I created a basic blueprint of parent type HUD. I then added the following code to my GameMode.cpp to call the blueprint. I based it off the pre-existing code that sets the default pawn class to the MyCharacter blueprint

static ConstructorHelpers::FClassFinder <AHUD> HUD_Cursor(TEXT("/Game/Blueprints/HUD_Cursor"));
HUDClass = (UClass*)HUD_Cursor.Class;

However I receive the following compile errors.

Error	4	error MSB3073: The command ""G:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" ***** Win64 DebugGame "G:\Users\*****\Documents\Unreal Projects\*****\*****.uproject" -rocket" exited with code -1.	G:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	38	5	*****

Error	2	error C3861: 'StaticClass': identifier not found	G:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\ConstructorHelpers.h	142	1	*****

Error	1	error C2027: use of undefined type 'AHUD'	G:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\ConstructorHelpers.h	142	1	*****

Error	3	error : Failed to produce item: G:\Users\*****\Documents\Unreal Projects\*****\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-*****-Win64-DebugGame.pdb	G:\Users\*****\Documents\Unreal Projects\*****\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR	*****

(***** = censored)

Commenting out the code causes the errors to disappear. I searched around and can’t seem to find a solution. The Blueprint works perfectly fine in the side-scroller blueprint template as all i need to do is set it as the default.
Not quite sure what’s causing this to fail when using c++. Any ideas?

#Wiki Tutorial Solution

I have a whole tutorial on doing this process for a player controller, just switch out my code sample for doing the HUD instead!

#Analysis

Use ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder instead of class finder, and just copy the reference of your HUD BP directly (right click->copy reference)

Rama

Hello Rama,
I tried to follow your tutorial but it did not get me anywhere.
I tried the following:

static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder <UBlueprint> HUD_Cursor(TEXT("Blueprint'/Game/Blueprints/HUD_Cursor.HUD_Cursor'"));
	if (HUD_Cursor.Object != NULL)
	{
		HUDClass = (UClass*)HUD_Cursor.Object->GeneratedClass;
	}

I also tried using AHUD as well but to no sucess. The only benefit I got from the tutorial was it pointed out I was using the incorrect blueprint reference format.

Here are the errors I receive when I try to compile the above snippet:

Error	4	error MSB3073: The command ""G:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" ****Editor Win64 DebugGame "G:\Users\****\Documents\Unreal Projects\********.uproject" -rocket" exited with code -1.	G:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	38	5	****

Error	2	error C2227: left of '->GeneratedClass' must point to class/struct/union/generic type	G:\Users\****\Documents\Unreal Projects\****\Source\****\Private\****GameMode.cpp	25	1	****

Error	1	error C2027: use of undefined type 'UBlueprint'	
G:\Users\****\Documents\Unreal 
Projects\****\Source\****\Private\****GameMode.cpp	25	1	****

Error	3	error : Failed to produce item: G:\Users\****\Documents\Unreal Projects\****\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-****-Win64-DebugGame.dll	G:\Users\****\Documents\Unreal Projects\****\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR	****

Any thoughts on what I am doing incorrectly?

Found the answer and just as I guessed, it was something very basic.
I needed to simply add the following to my GameMode.cpp

#include "GameFramework/HUD.h"

However since I wanted to include a C++ class with my blueprint I simply created the class which included GameFramework/HUD.h and then called that in my GameMode.cpp.

Been a while since I used C++ and forgot that #includes can be nested, which is why the default for the side-scroller c++ template has “#include “GameFramework/Character.h”” in the Character.h but not in the GameMode.cpp. This gave me the false assumption that there was some inherent behavior that covered the include for default character, but turned out I just wasn’t smart enough!