Tropical Island - Environment Art

Good day to everyone reading this. My name is Flavio. In the coming weeks and months I will be posting regular progress on my new project here. The project is a tropical island, situated in the Caribbean. I got heavily inspired by Far Cry 6 for this environment, which you will be able to see by the reference board. I will make my own water shader and make modular kits for all the buildings, which will then be textured using the vertex painting feature in Unreal.

1 Like

This is the main ‘‘hero’’ shot, which I will edit to make it look like it has been shot on a drone as the height is in line with a drone flyby.

Hero Asset: Vintage Speedboat.

Starting tomorrow, I will get to texturing this beauty for the next four days.

Item 1 done this week:
Boat Texturing finished! 8 Udims in total. Loving the wood, seats, flags and deck. When my teacher gives me the feedback on it, I will upload the new revision, so stay tuned!

PS: Upon my teachers request I thoroughly revised some parts of the mesh to more closely match the reference.

Item 2 and 3 done this week:

• Bookmarks!
  • Vertex Painting
    Starting now, every time I upload, you will get the environment photographed from these 5 angles; That is of course if I can’t make them any better :wink:

Here are this week’s bookmarks. I worked on implementing palm trees and doing the first foliage pass.

The blue house is also in progress as we speak.

Bookmarks for this week.

Done:

• Textured House
  • Fixed Foliage

Here you have two shots that show off the house. I think with some better lighting I can make the house look amazing in Unreal.

So I completely reworked my idea with this project, the old one was horrendous indeed.

Things Done This Week:

• Added Water Body Actor and Landscape
  • Mesh Painting on Island
  • Adding Foliage
  • Cinematic Sequence (5 Shots)
  • Progress on Church Modular Kit
  • Redone Bookmark shots

Here you can see the modular kit that I started working on. It is based on a church in Guadalupe and I like the concept a lot.

Hey everyone! Here are the bookmarks for this week. I decided to turn this church into an Uncharted style ruin, which you will see textured and sculpted real soon.

DONE this week:

• Turned wooden planks on blue house into flat planes, baking the planks from a HP.
  • Added more wear and tear to Boat to more realistically portray Boat’s location and situation
  • Various foliage painting
  • Color Grading
  • Continued Church mesh and turned it to into a single mesh, instead of a modular kit
  • Did Church UVs

1 Like

Hi there @RadycalMemev2,

Hope you’re well and having a wonderful week so far :slight_smile:

Really like the palm tree appearance and the clearness of the water. Just an absolutely stunning environment through and through :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing the little details you add to this!

Hey everyone!

This week’s progress is here.
Done this week:

• Textured the Church
  • Adjustments to Water
  • Added more variety to Foliage
  • Adjusted Sky HDRI and Lighting
  • Added Megascans Landscape in the background for immersion
1 Like

Thank you so much! I have just updated it.

1 Like

Wow, love the lighting. Added so much warmth to the scene :slight_smile: The vines climbing down the church are especially stunning - especially alongside that water :smiley: Super impressed by every detail of this environment.

Thanks for continuing to share and I hope to see more!

1 Like

Back this week with some HUGE changes to my environment. I really love how it is turning out at the moment.
I also adore how for the first time, this environment’s art consistency feels a lot more like that of an actual game. This is something I really tried to achieve this week.

Things done this week:

• Lighting Changes (Getting rid of flatness)
  • Sculpting of Landscape
  • Composition changes of scene
  • Addition of stairs and cliffs
  • Art Directing of foliage, textures, PP
  • Vertex Painting of Church