Transparency affected outlines

Does anyone know how to create outlines around a mesh that are effected by transparent materials? At the moment I’m using the post-process depth method and outlines will appear in front of any level of transparent material (so even 99% opaque materials) and I would really prefer an alternative to this.

Would it be possible to set up a fresnel to accomplish something like this?

If there’s absolutely no alternative it’d be great if anyone could point me towards methods to distinguish curves on a model as I’m using a very stylised art style with flat colours (so bends in walls will sometimes blend together without the outline material).

Hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I am facing the same problem - need to set an outline for a mesh that uses a translucent material.
Have you found a solution to this?

Hey, the only solution I know is to set “Allow Custom Depth Writes” flag in your Translucent Material settings.

settings.JPG

Example: Simple glass material with Outline Post-Process Material:

Thanks, don’t forget to change Opacity Mask Clip Value as well if needed.

Thanks.

If checking “Allow Custom Depth Writes” does not work for anyone, try additionally setting Translucency Pass to “Before DOF” in the same material.

I’m not sure why, but I had to do this in UE 5.3 to get outlines to show for my translucent materials. Hope that helps!