Translucent Material Receive and Cast Shadows

Translucent Material Receive and Cast Shadows

Engine version: 4.19.1

I have searched and tried many different things and still have not found a solution for my problem. Thus I am here.

Ideally I want to take a static mesh like a tree and fade it out if its in the way of the camera. Since the tree receives and casts shadows, I want to make sure the transparent material that is swapped to the tree also receives and casts those same shadows.

The problem is that I can’t even make a basic transparent cube cast and receive shadows. I have set its material to Blend Mode: Translucent, Lighting Mode: Surface TranslucencyVolume. Then on the mesh in the world, I have set Volumetric Translucent Shadow to true.

The result I have with a single stationary directional light and the mesh set to Mobility: Static after building lighting is not receiving shadows or casting shadows. If I made the mesh Moveable which forced Dynamic lighting, then I can get it to at least cast a shadow, but not receive any. I was expecting to be able to both cast and receive shadows with both baked or dynamic lighting. How do I accomplish this?

P.S. I also tried setting World Settings->Lighting->Volume Lighting Method to Sparse Volume Lighting Samples as well as the default Volumetric Lightmap setting without success.

1 Like

Material: Blend Mode: Translucent Two-Sided: True Lighting Mode: Surface Translucency Volume

Then for your mesh placed in the level select it. In it’s Details Panel make sure that Volumetric Translucent Shadow is set to True.

Hi, does this work with skylight (hdri) too or only with directional lights?

Did you find a solution?

bump, need this too! Dynamic Shadows on a translucent Plane. Like a Shadowcatcher!

Form my test, it works but only with directionnal light set as stationnary. If set to movable, then all shadows casted onto the translucent material surface disapear.