Translucency artifacts in UE5

Hey, working with UE5, I have an eye object with two materials: one is the eye texture and on top of it is a glass material. I want the eye material to have some subsurface but when I enable it I get these artifacts, when the eye is set to ‘Default Lit’ it works fine, but doesn’t look realistic.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the issue and of the material settings. Is there another way to set these materials up to work together?

Screenshot 2022-05-10 135454
Screenshot 2022-05-10 135523

2 Likes

Hmm, this is interesting. I’ll first say that I am not an eye/character artist, but I know it’s highly specialized work that requires a lot of know-how. That being said, just going preliminarily, how come you have a glass material on top of the eye? Are you looking to simulate distortion of light from the cornea?

I know UE4 has a custom eye material that they recommend basing eye work off of, as to my understanding the material is very tightly linked with shader behavior and can achieve better results than default lit can. Just some thoughts, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Yes I’m trying to simulate distortion of light from the cornea, coming from blender I manage to give it quite a nice look, but couldn’t recreate the shaders in UE so far.
I’ve tried also to use the eye material, but that one wasn’t working for me, I would’ve love to find more information about it but couldn’t find too much.
I’ll keep on looking.

I thought the issue I’m having here is connected maybe to the sorting of translucent materials, is there a way to sort the order of them?

Not sure if this might help, but it looks good

Beside this, Have you considered using a clear coat type of material for the glass? It is used to get the shine finish in car renders, so the behavior should be fairly similar to what you need here.

1 Like

Thank you Devic.a
This absolutely look like something that can fit to what I’m trying to get.
I’ll check it out and will update here.
Thanks!!!

1 Like