Translucency and dynamic shadow receiving?

Hi,

I wanted to ask why this is still not possible: translucent objects receiving dynamic shadows!

04ed9a6b4ae0783cb9b64a68ef819a47c36b2c90.jpeg

it’s such a basic feature. even Skyrim had it back in 2011 :eek:

This actually is in the engine… and on by default. Just not the way you would expect. If you open up the console and type r.TranslucencyVolume (or something similar, I’m not at my computer to check) there are a bunch of settings to adjust the resolution and range of the translucency volume, which is used to calculate translucent lighting. By default, the resolution is at 64, the inner range is 1500 and the outer range is 5000. If you lower the inner distance to 500, then the resolution will be compressed to being used in a 500cm area instead of a 1500cm one, making the shadows much more clear up close, and with no performance hit. You can do the same thing with the outer distance if you need high resolution at long range. Finally if you have extra processing power, you can flat out increase the resolution. However, it scales very poorly. Increasing it to 128 put a notable strain on my 980ti, and putting the resolution at 256 plummeted my FPS from 60 to 20 in editor. Still, it’s an option if needed for screen captures.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

I had a look at what you mentioned.
it’s good to know that there’s something there, but the results are mediocre at best, and seem completely useless in the sense of having any hardness in the shadows for a scene bigger than a character showcase or a small diorama.
sure it probably helps a tiny bit. a translucent object entering a cave will not look completely out of place at all times, but it will still look out of place until it’s deep enough inside the cave. and it will look especially inconsistent if it’s accompanied by solid objects.

thanks for the input. unfortunately it falls very short

:frowning:

putting the resolution to 512 made the engine crash btw

Bump, the actual options are no close to enough. Theres got to be a way to achieve shadows on translucency objects without having to use the actual volumetric solution. Wich is no a viable option, neither in resource side nor in the results.

Ill be very handy for shadows on water surfaces or some special cases to fake some effects.