Training Stream - UE4 Game Framework Basics in Blueprint - Nov 10th, 2015

WHAT
You’ve prototyped your game play, now what? walks you through building a simple project shell highlighting the usage of UE4’s Game Framework. Topics covered: UMG, Game State, Player State, Game Instance, and so on.

Here’s a link to the project is building on the stream:

GameFramework Project

WHEN
Tuesday, November 10th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE

WHO

• Dev Rel Technical Artist

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Video Archive:

Could we have the sample ahead of time to look through, so that we can ask better questions?

Sure, I think we can do that, though I’ll be building it live too

This sounds Brilliant! Will certainly be adding this to my calendar. I’ve always assumed that gluing a project together would require in depth knowledge of the C++ API until recently when I read a snippet on the GameState Blueprint.

[question] I’ve seen people house and initiate their UMG widgets from many different places - where is the best place? I currently use my player controller

Finally!

I’m waiting a livestream like this since i started play around with UE4 :slight_smile:

Are you planning save this stream? If so, there can I find it?

Im at work at that time… But I know you guys are cool and will record the stream for us unfortunates to not be able to join.

[=Voodoo_Magick;414966]
Are you planning save this stream? If so, there can I find it?
[/]

It’lll be posted on YouTube once it has happened.

A health and mana bar over the characters head would be sweet to go over. Thanks in advance, either way!

Can you include level streaming in the twitch. This is an area which is difficult when passing gameinstance state between levels, and whether you should have a blank shell level to hold everything together, etc.

Looking forward to this one. It’ll really help clear out a lot of doubts.

Will you cover a little Save Game too, like missions, inventory, settings…?

[=BPANDREW;414892]
[question] I’ve seen people house and initiate their UMG widgets from many different places - where is the best place? I currently use my player controller
[/]

Personally I use the HUD blueprint class to initiate UMG stuff and to deal with the display logic.

I don’t really have a question, but I would like to see some UMG styling done. Like custom progress bars, animated textures, the progress bar marquee. There are lots of UMG tutorials out there, but none of them cover how to make them look pleasing.

I have done a lot of reading on this topic, but hope to watch this after it’s over (work always prevents me from watching any of these live), so I hope it is available to find/watch afterwards. Seems some streams I can never find later.

[=BPANDREW;414892]
[/]

I personally use the GameInstance … since it exists from the running of the program to it being shut down.

[=BPANDREW;414892]
[/]

What does housing mean? Is it about the variable that holds the reference to the widget?

I do initiate my widgets over the Pawn, and store all references to the them inside that Pawn as well.

Yesss, been looking for more info about this stuff!

I have been trying to get this type of setup going, and it is not straight forward knowing where to put things, and there’s a lot of casting to store local references involved… (and this is just single player, multi-level… hope they cover a bit of this too…

http://1drv.ms/1OtPFYw

Will watch!

Stoked for this