Training Livestream - Realtime Simulation and Volume Modelling Experiments - May 2 - Live from Epic!

Thanks to . Absolutely amazing info and tech.

Amazing! This is exactly what I’ve been needing for a project of mine! :slight_smile:

Just watched through the twitch stream. At the very end you mentioned that you’re interested in adding the ability to move your hand through smoke in VR. Is this something you could help me with? I’m working on a VR project that could use something just like this except for clouds. I was thinking of just adding a general noise/flow for light cloud movement then utilize the same method you had for painting velocity except with a decay to return back to normal, if possible?

FWIW, the memory crash and perf hitches I experienced on the stream were all due to one tiny bug in the BP. Under Debug-> the variable “Saved Pressure Divisor” should have been marked as user editable. Since it was not, the BP thought the setting “Pressure Divisor” was changing every time the script ran, which meant it was creating hundreds or thousands of render targets when I scrubbed. Scrubbing should be relatively hitch free and memory safe after that fix.

I suggest who has the BP to make that variable editable. It gets set by the BP itself and is how it tracks if properties have changed and whether it needs to create new RTs or not. This came about because merging BPs to an older build by hand has to be done manually.

Archive video is now up, enjoy!

Very cool!

Archive post? Do you have a link?

I loved state of unreal and particularly liked the idea of these dynamics in VR, the fact it works in the VR editor meant it’d be ace for some visuals I wanted to add to a game i’m working on in 4.15

I was wondering, are these part of the unreal assets usable in projects with modification now?

I’m still watching through the hand menus part of the stream and was hoping I could use/adapt it rather than starting from scratch as well, its essentially the upgrade option menu I’ve had in mind.

Cheers for the great livestreams!

I assumed he means the video of the session is now on the youtube channel but maybe I got the wrong end of the stick:

that makes sense yh, thats what I’m watching atm!

The video is now on youtube is what I meant. It’s updated in the post. These are totally reusable and modifiable as you like. We’d be really excited to hear what you do with it. Let us know your feedback.

@ This is awesome!! We watched the streaming like fangirls XD. I’ve been following your blog and trying to follow the tutorials, but I was not able to make it work until now. I’m also trying to paint decals on a texture and I’m using your hitmask system but I really dont understand why you use the spheremask node. Do you know how I can change the sphere by a texture?

Awesome plugin, huuuuge thanks and congratulations for this.

One issue though, is that it creates VERY LONG file paths that generate “filename too long” errors when trying to cook a project using your plugin :frowning:

So I had to rename lots of files and folders.

SIMPLY AMAZING. The application for these features is limitless. The first thought that comes to mind is the[FONT=sans-serif] Typhon in Prey. I would like to adapt it for simulating Fur, and other organics.

Thanks for your work! I want to know how to preview ray marching, i add four BPs which in the ray marching folder into the level, it seems doesn’t work!

That is strange, I thought I replied to the last post a few days ago.

To preview, you should place the BP under the VolumeTextures folder. The ones in the RayMarching folder were more meant as helper BPs used by other blueprints. mostly they just write data to render targets without a preview setup of their own. For example the IBL one computes lighting for a volume texture based on a specified cubemap.

Can the volumes be exported as VDB’s?

This plugin makes my project Lag really bad and my pc is not junk.

64 gig ram
windows 10
radeon R7 240

it should not lag this much. loading the fluid sim maps locks my pc to a crawl why??

That video card only has 2gb of ram. The fluid simulation takes up quite a bit of video memory. Did you download the initial version or the second updated link?

http://unreal-engine-public-share-cdn.unrealengine.com/ShaderBits-GDC-Pack.zip

The first version had a bug that was not saving the RT references properly. It is expected that the fluid sim will be very slow to render unless you have an nvidia 980 or better.

Hi!
first off, thanks for your great work!
I dont know if this is the correct way to approach but i’m looking for a way to recreate this in Unreal Engine. would it be possible?The Cosmic Web, or What does the universe look like at a VERY large scale 720p - YouTube
If someone is up for a collaboration here is my email. johan.rosenberg@filmgate.se

Thanks!
Johan

This is really amazing. I installed it and am trying the VolumeTextures/Volume Preview. I see the volume and I see the flipbook being generated. Is the representation in the view an actual volume, and then I would somehow use the flip book to approximate it in a more efficient way? Just getting started, so any info would be great. Besides that, I wondered if it is possible to import a simple piece of geometry and use that to create the volume shape. I will play around with these settings, but is it meant to be brought into a level as is, or do I need to create a setup with the filpbooks (and is there an example I could learn from).