Trace hit result on Skeletal Mesh does not return Bone name as a hit result

I am trying to print bone name of my character on clicking on character using Single Line Trace by channel. In its Hit results there is Bone Name result which on printing gives “NONE”.
Dont know why is it happening as it should print bone name , when I print the “Hit Component” from results, it gives → ThirdPersonCharacter_C_17.CharacterMesh0 ThirdPersonSkelMesh

Which means it is hitting Mesh as required for bone name.

Attachment of my workaround in ThirdPersonCharacter BP is below :

When I use debug sphere, output is as below when I click head of Character and also prints “None” :

50017-character.png

I was expecting to print "Head " for this click.

Thanks

I’m just guessing but I think it might have something to do with your trace visibility channel. try changing it to camera. If that works let me know and I’ll write up a longer answer explaining way (away from computer atm)

It works same way for Trace channel Camera.

what prints if you drag out of hitactor?

Hi ambhar,

Does your skeletal mesh have a physics asset? I was able to get this working when target has one. Without it, skeletal mesh doesn’t have per-bone collision to work with, and a line trace wouldn’t be able to distinguish between them.

Yes . I have a physics asset. I guess problem is in version 4.7 Now I am updating to 4.8, it may resolve problem.

It prints “ThirdPersonCharacte_C_17” on hit character

I updated to version 4.8.1 and now problem is fixed. Earlier I was having version 4.7.6 installed.

Yea, I ran this in a test project in 4.7.6 and same setup worked. I’m not sure what might have been happening in your 4.7 project, but I’m glad you’ve got it working in 4.8.1.

I’m getting this same error in 4.9.2
Have you found out what causes it yet?

Hi ,

No, we never found a cause and weren’t able to reproduce problem here at Epic. Can you reproduce issue in a new project, or only your current project? If you can create a small test project and upload it somewhere for me, I can take a look. Thanks!

https://www…com/watch?v=DNXQO8ifR-M