[Tool] DebugWidget - 3D Widget to help debugging (VR)

Thank You, understood. That was newbie question from me. I am still getting in taste of all this :slight_smile:

Another (maybe unrealistic) question: in PrintStringAdvanced, could it be possible to make more individual visual specifics for each instance, not just color? I imagine font change is probably off-limits, but, maybe Blink tickbox (and Blink Speed value maybe?) is possible? Thank You.

This seems a bit too crazy. If you want to highlight something in a special way, make it red. Other colors for any other need.

Please keep in mind it is only intended for debugging purpose and shall provide an useable alternative for PrintString screen visuals. The widget destroyes itself in a shipping build.

Today I tried to package my own project with the DebugWidget included. The packaged game did crash on startup. I then tried to run the game in Debug build and it showed some weird stuff with this Component. But it does work now, not sure what happend.

To make sure there is no issue, I tried a new project with the DebugWidgetComponent included and setup. Packaging and starting the project was no problem.

Just to let you know. If you encounter issues, let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, I know it is just debug. I am using it for experimenting with flying enemies AI, to keep an eye what each of them are up to right now :)) Plugin is great as it is, thank you! I know PrintString gets destroyed if game built (did not try, just I remember reading it before)

The problem occoured again in my project. Pushed an update that should fix the issue. In a shipping build the component was destroyed in InitializeComponent, now doing it in BeginPlay.

UE4.19 version is up. Enjoy!

Thank you for update!

This is the best thing ever, thank you so much!

Fixed an issue with UE4.19 version that always caused an ensure break in C++ hitting Play for the first time. Did nobody have that issue? I just updated my own project to 4.19 and noticed that issue.

Thank you for update. I had just a Blueprints so far, did not notice problem.

Thanks. Good to know that blueprint only does not get a direct information. It should be in your log though.

I have to say, i am probably “bad example” to reference, all I do for now is experiments in BP-only, AND - only in editor. Have not made any “built” piece or something. Maybe need to hear who used your tool in pre-production, but also, well, “produced” something :slight_smile:

Hello here again. I have been using this DebugWidget / PrintStringAdvanced in my in-editor experiments a lot, and it is great. Thanks again for this asset. Still, I am looking around for some permanent on-screen message printing (free) system that would be super simple to use as this PrintStringAdvanced, and could exist outside editor. I know how to use UMG UI, but what about something more simple? I know this one:

Maybe there are others similar something-to-screen solutions? Thanks :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say thanks! Very helpful!

DebugWidget works outside Editor, but it must not be a Shipping Build.

Or do you mean something that pops up a Operating System window?

If the link you provided does not fullfill your needs, you would need to be more specific about what you need. And it shall be useable in a shipping build? something like a chat window?

Well, I will try to explain my thoughts. It would be nice to have “Notofications System” with simplicity of use as this “Print String Advanced”. They do exist, and I have one commercial one. But would be nice to have community free one, so it can be in project, and this project could be free shared to to others (so there is no commercial plugin inside).
If I may, I imagine this:
Called something like “PrintMessage”;
has similar features like AdvancedPrintString (prefix, suffix, how long to display);
has customizable text font(s)
has customizable frame/windows, with transparency parameter;
has predefined (corners, top, bottom, left, right) placement;
has custom placement (coordinates);
stacks messages one to other with custom count of them);
stacking direction options.

One can dream, right? :slight_smile:

EDIT: i added “timeout” in imagined features list.

Like this?
https://coub.com/view/7rvzw

:-))) No, that would be too advanced! :slight_smile:

what else you refert to with stacking than?