[TOOL] Create your own binary build for your team

Alright it finally rebuilt itself and stopped at the end.

ERROR: Failed to start local process for action (“The system cannot find the file specified”): C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\AppxPackage\PDBCopy.exe “D:\UE4_Custom\Engine\Binaries\Win64\Android\UE4Editor-Android_ASTCTargetPlatform.pdb” “D:\UE4_Custom\Saved\Engine\Binaries\Win64\Android\UE4Editor-Android_ASTCTargetPlatform.pdb” -p
Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)

I’m guessing it’s a problem with visual studio here as I installed it on my D drive. My directory has the PDBcopy, but it’s in the v15.0 folder instead of the v12.0 because there is no v12.0 folder.

Edit: I reinstalled Visual Studio in the C drive in hopes it would generate the files in the specified location, but it seems that it’s still in a way different directory than what the compiler thinks it’s supposed to be at. If I could change where it thinks the PDBCopy file is, that would solve my issue. But I have no idea where to start looking for where it tries to get that directory from.

@dragon3582 This thread might help Installed Build Fails trying to run pdbcopy.exe ? - Engine Source & GitHub - Unreal Engine Forums

1 Like

Yea I looked through that post already. It didn’t really help me much. I did however find out exactly where the path is being set in the source code. The thing I’m wondering now is, can i change it to be the pathway I need it too without messing much stuff up?

It’s in the WinPlatform.Automation.cs script on line 370. I can change that line specifically to be the pathway it should try to look for, but it does contain spaces in the folder names. I’m not sure if putting “Microsoft Visual Studio” and other folder with spaces like that into the file pathway name if it might cause it to throw me an error. I also don’t know if i can just change this line, save, and then retry the binary tool and hope for the best. Would you happen to know these couple things?

[QUOTE=dragon3582;751483]
Yea I looked through that post already. It didn’t really help me much. I did however find out exactly where the path is being set in the source code. The thing I’m wondering now is, can i change it to be the pathway I need it too without messing much stuff up?

It’s in the WinPlatform.Automation.cs script on line 370. I can change that line specifically to be the pathway it should try to look for, but it does contain spaces in the folder names. I’m not sure if putting “Microsoft Visual Studio” and other folder with spaces like that into the file pathway name if it might cause it to throw me an error. I also don’t know if i can just change this line, save, and then retry the binary tool and hope for the best. Would you happen to know these couple things?

You can try changing that one line and see if it helps. I haven’t faced an issue like this before so not sure what’s wrong. I have linked your post on discord so you can check there if someone got an idea on how to fix this issue. Discord (Discord does not feature direct link to message so open that link and search for PDBCopy.exe)

I managed to change that line and it looked like it worked basically once i rebuilt that specific thing. And then it got past the stripping part where the previous error was. For some reason visual studio seems to have a pretty different file pathway than what that line believed it to be, but that’s not the end of my problems unfortunately. I got a whole slew of new errors that I have absolutely no idea what the heck mean. There’s quite a bit of error messages that popped up. This is the first line it says, but then goes into a lot of line numbers in different files.

Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: BUILD FAILED: failed, retries not enabled:
AutomationToolProcess exited with code 1

Just out of curiosity though, how long does it generally take to make an installed build? Cause it seemed to be pushing about 50 minutes before it stopped with errors relating to whatever else it has some problem with.

I’m going to attempt tomorrow to build a different engine version release as a test with the file modification to test to see if it will give me the same errors. I did find it odd that when I was watching it, I saw it try to parallel execute a certain file about 50 times. I was a little confused. PCLaunch.rc is what I think it might’ve been called.

Also I can’t see the discord channel. It just sends me to the add friend page for some reason instead of the channel. Maybe it’s private? I would love to check in on a discord channel that might help.

Edit: Tried anther different release build. Same thing. It’s probably because of that one line change I did so ill just keep looking for a way around the PDBCopy thing without changing that pathway it has in there. Hopefully someone in the discord channel has had some kind of thing with this happen and knows what to do.

Has there been any news in that discord channel about any possible ways to fix the PDBCopy pathway issue? Everytime I click that link it just takes me to the add friends page of discord for some reason.

While this might have been fancy in it’s time, I simply couldn’t get this tool to work. From what I can gather, it’s a GUI front end for RunUAT.bat, running a BuildGraph script. The PDBCopy issue will still need to be solved, but take a gander at this very helpful article: http://jackknobel.com/BuildGraph/Building-an-installed-ue4/

[quote=“Derjyn”]

While this might have been fancy in it’s time, I simply couldn’t get this tool to work. From what I can gather, it’s a GUI front end for RunUAT.bat, running a BuildGraph script. The PDBCopy issue will still need to be solved, but take a gander at this very helpful article: http://jackknobel.com/BuildGraph/Building-an-installed-ue4/

Recently I formatted my PC and faced the same PDBCopy issue. I think UE4 still checks for PDBCopy for VS2015. Here are the PDBCopy.exe locations on my PC. If its there in these locations you shouldn’t face PDBCopy.exe issue.

https://i.imgur.com/SUE7rX3.png

I’m facing this PDBCopy.exe issue aswell, visual studio paths for me dont look anything like the above paths you posted RyanJon

So i fixed PDBCopy with a fresh install of VS 2015 on a different computer, but i got this error on the binary build, any ideas?

ParallelExecutor.Execute: UE4Game-Win64-Shipping.exe
ParallelExecutor.Execute: Creating library C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game-Win64-Shipping.lib and object C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game-Win64-Shipping.exp
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ==============================================================================
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ERROR: BUILD FAILED: failed, retries not enabled:
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: while executing <Compile Target=“UE4Game” Configuration=“Development” Platform=“Win64” Arguments="-precompile -nodebuginfo" AllowXGE=“True” AllowParallelExecutor=“True” Tag="#UE4Game Win64" />
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: while executing <Compile Target=“UE4Game” Configuration=“Shipping” Platform=“Win64” Arguments="-precompile -nodebuginfo" AllowXGE=“True” AllowParallelExecutor=“True” Tag="#UE4Game Win64" />
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at Engine\Build\InstalledEngineBuild.xml(163)
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: (see C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\UAT_Log.txt for full exception trace)
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo:
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: AutomationException: BUILD FAILED: failed, retries not enabled:
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InUseParallelExecutor, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Boolean InShowProgress, Dictionary2 PlatformEnvVars, Nullable1 InChangelistNumberOverride, Dictionary2 InTargetToManifest) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\UE4Build.cs:line 1497
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.CompileTaskExecutor.Execute(JobContext Job, HashSet1 BuildProducts, Dictionary2 TagNameToFileSet) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildGraph\Tasks\CompileTask.cs:line 154
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.Node.Build(JobContext Job, Dictionary2 TagNameToFileSet) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildGraph\Node.cs:line 197 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.BuildGraph.BuildNode(JobContext Job, Graph Graph, Node Node, TempStorage Storage, Boolean bWithBanner) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildGraph\BuildGraph.cs:line 685 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.BuildGraph.BuildAllNodes(JobContext Job, Graph Graph, TempStorage Storage) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildGraph\BuildGraph.cs:line 614 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.BuildGraph.Execute() in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildGraph\BuildGraph.cs:line 421 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, Dictionary2 Commands) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 558 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] Arguments) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 528 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 132 ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Func2 Main, Object Param) in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Utils.cs:line 708
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: at AutomationTool.Program.Main() in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\UnrealEngine-Blast-4.18\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 62
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: data: EpicGames.Context = System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]
ExceptionUtils.PrintExceptionInfo: ==============================================================================
Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)

@ryanjon2040
Many thanks for this tool.

I couldn’t seem to restart a build without first closing the program though.
Button would remain greyed out on an error :frowning:

Otherwise, worked as intended.
Yay!

Unfortunately, getting a binary build of UE4.18.2 requires a bit of fiddling.

PDBCopy issue :
You can find the fix here:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/engine-source-github/113790-installed-build-fails-trying-to-run-pdbcopy-exe

Issues with Win64 only build:
Seems that when building a Win64 binary, it still wants to compile Win32 versions of CrashReportClient, UnrealCEFSubProcess & BootstrapPackagedGame.
Modifying the InstalledEngineBuild.xml to remove these references fix the problem.
While I was there, I also removed (well, commented out) references to HTML5, IOS and PS4, just in case.
If you were building for all platforms, this probably would be an issue, but for me, …

FASTBuild:
I thought I’d try giving FASTBuild a go for a while.
Binary building process appeared to work with it just fine.

Hope this helps someone in future.

Thank you @Kris :). I fixed the build button greyed out just now. :slight_smile:

Updated to support building of 4.19 and above.

I’m curious about the “clean” option. It was my assumption that if this was unchecked, it wouldn’t rebuild the whole engine, and as I already had it built, it would go through the process faster and end up copying everything over to LocalBuilds within a couple minutes. However, it starts the whole build process from scratch, even if that is unchecked.

[edit]

I guess the right question here is, is there any way to have this tool just copy the built version files over, without doing any compilation? I’m still trying to master the build system and I’ve poured over a lot, but haven’t found a fool-proof way to zero in on simply copying stuff over. I’m about to do it manually, but my goodness… That will be a headache, and way too much room for error!

Do you support Build Graph ?
I try to do CI, and reduce ue4 source size.
I download source from github, and start with this command : ./RunUAT.sh BuildCookRun -project=/myproject.uproject -noP4 -clientconfig=Development -serverconfig=Development -nocompileeditor -utf8output -server -serverplatform=Linux -noclient -build -cook -unversionedcookedcontent -compressed -stage -package -cmdline=" -Messaging" -addcmdline=“” -compile
without launch setup.sh script.
I have a lot of missing librairie error and useless librairie too. (with UAT tool)
So I think I must use a custom build engine (Linux) to cook my project
Am I wrong ?

It looks like in 4.19 “EnableSymStore” was changed to “EmbedSrcSrvInfo”. I changed all references of the former to the latter and it got me past the error I was having. I definitely don’t know much about these systems though, so I could be missing something.

Updated to 1.1:

[QUOTE]
Added support for custom build xml file.
User can now stop the build.
Added status label that shows number of errors/warnings and time elapsed after build.
Minor code refactoring.

Grab it here: Releases · ryanjon2040/Unreal-Binary-Builder · GitHub

Hello, I have a question that hopefully you can answer.
I I started using the unreal editor a little over a year ago, I have been using it almost everyday and love it. When I started developing I had read a Unreal article that said you can use the Unreal Engine to make PS4 games. In the article it showed how you would click file, package product, and then choose PS4.

Now that I’m about 75% done with my project I contacted Sony and was able to get a development license and then contacted unreal and was able to get the PS4 SDK. I thought that you could install the SDK into the binary launch version of unreal and then simply choose file, package product, PS4. But after reading all the documentation it now sounds like that is totally not the case and that you will also create a source file or build and get that all setup and then somehow connect the current binary game to that build in order to create the PS4 file.

In 2014 there was an article that said they were working on a PS4 binary version but I have not seen any other information on that, do you know if they’re working on a PS4 binary version that works with the launcher, or do you know if the tool that you made makes this whole process easier. I really wish they just had the file package and then choose PS4 vs happened to set up a whole new I r Unreal Engine setup.

[quote=“JohnADaniels, post:38, topic:81421”]

Hello, I have a question that hopefully you can answer.
I I started using the unreal editor a little over a year ago, I have been using it almost everyday and love it. When I started developing I had read a Unreal article that said you can use the Unreal Engine to make PS4 games. In the article it showed how you would click file, package product, and then choose PS4.

Now that I’m about 75% done with my project I contacted Sony and was able to get a development license and then contacted unreal and was able to get the PS4 SDK. I thought that you could install the SDK into the binary launch version of unreal and then simply choose file, package product, PS4. But after reading all the documentation it now sounds like that is totally not the case and that you will also create a source file or build and get that all setup and then somehow connect the current binary game to that build in order to create the PS4 file.

In 2014 there was an article that said they were working on a PS4 binary version but I have not seen any other information on that, do you know if they’re working on a PS4 binary version that works with the launcher, or do you know if the tool that you made makes this whole process easier. I really wish they just had the file package and then choose PS4 vs happened to set up a whole new I r Unreal Engine setup.

Wish I could help you but I don’t own a PS4 license. I’d suggest you post on PlayStation 4 Development section to get help faster.

Ok, thank you for the reply.