Too fast an FPS??

Ok So I have been working heavily on speeding up my game. I have done all i can to LOD EVERY mesh. Setup best performances practices. mip maps, texture sizes, texture optimizations in reducing file sizes, distance field settings, I have been in and out of the stat gpu and stat unit checks etc etc. So now oddly enough when i am in editor i get a solid 115-120 fps (not boasting just amazed I was able to get this far)

Now my question is, why when I play standalone game window and do a stat fps check, I am getting readings of like 300fps in menus? but when I am in actual gameplay i am getting roughly 40-50fps when in editor i was at 115-120? aside from the obvious, menu levels have no meshes etc, how does it calculate 300fps?

The editor is default locked to 120 fps. In the console, you can type T.maxFPS N to set any limit you want, just replace N. It’s important to unlock fps when profiling (IIRC that’s one of the first things the profiling docs say)

Other thing that is immediately obvious is that PIE runs in window at a set size, launching the project runs in full screen or whatever settings you give it.
In my case, PIE window is around 2k in size. when you launch the screen is 4k. so there’s an immediate FPS drop of about 50% or so just because of the screen size.

Unforgivable.

you just found out why I strive not to use marketplace assets :stuck_out_tongue:

If I make my own stuff, I know it will always work right.

if you start having to triple guess on someone else’s work, who’s probably using a full 4k texture to texture a 10cm fork, because to be able to sell in the marketplace stuff needs to look good… and it also probably has 150k tris for the same for that could maybe use 50 total and look identical…
(no consideration about overall performance is actually placed in by the marketplace people - who instead, I remind everyone yet again, ***** about things like a camera management system where you can customize transitions to taste having “too fast” of a transition, just for the sake of rejecting a submission)

Well, that’s when you just loose it.
there’s no way even with experience you can “guess” that the mesh was setup and some *hole set the distance field to 12res…

Good point

That would be nice to have a better guide on where the fps is being sapped from. Im pretty much stumbling on where to fix stuff. I was literally at 19 fps at one point, til i started attacking every possible thing. what I am learning is default everything is set up for making things look pretty with very little regard for performance HAHA

Thanks for the suggestions @UnrealEnterprise and @MindfieldsTech!

I’m sure you’ve seen this, but just in case - This is the Performance and Profiling section of the docs. Here you will find all the relevant commands and tools to diagnose performance in your game. It sounds like the request is a more handy “cheat sheet” with these different sections / commands summarized for quicker view.

There are also several talks by Epic staff about this, like this one from Zak Parrish - https://www…com/watch?v=hcxetY8g_fs.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

We understand the challenge and I brought this up internally to see how we can make improvements. I can’t make any promises on ETA, but we are aware of this :slight_smile: