Tips to reduce project upload size? Tried everything I know!

Hello,

I’m trying to upload my UEFN made project to launch a session and test it, but it’s complaining that my project is over 3GB in size:

This is strange given it’s a level, no functionality, scripts, nothing, just static meshes and materials, migrated from UE5.

The project packaged for shipping in UE5 is just over 300MB, which gave me confidence to move it to UEFN. (btw, 300MB in UE5 with 2k textures).

I honestly don’t know what else to do to optimize it and bring it below 2GB.
I have so far:

• Reduced the size of the textures from 2k all the way down to 256, and highest possible compression
  • Removed all meshes over 20k vertices
  • Removed complex, decorative meshes that were not that important but added to the number of actors.
  • Reduced the number of actors in the level from 15,000 to less than 5000 (it’s almost a floor, walls and roof map now…)

And all I managed to do was to reduce a couple of MB in my project, like 20MB less. So not sure what’s adding to 3GB inside UEFN!

Does anyone have any clues? tips? there’s no “size map” tool in UEFN so it’s a bit hard to identify what’s taking so much space.

Thanks in advance!

We’d have to know little more about your setup and assets.
Consider:

• check LODs, make aggressive cuts to sizes/amounts
  • reuse meshes as much possible
  • you can not size them in UEFN but you can in UE, try UE tools then reimport
  • try tileable textures where not jarring to reduce amount, combine textures where possible (channels)
  • remove unused/testing/misc assets

Hello @NabuX without having a copy of your project I can’t say for certain what the issue is… There is a “project size” tool in UEFN but it requires upload to use it.

Thank you for the answers @UnrealVerseGuru & @HalcyonKnight96.

@HalcyonKnight96, how can I share a copy of the project with you? Maybe that way you can help me pinpoint the problem.

@UnrealVerseGuru I have tried removing all LODs (every mesh has only 1 LOD now) No big change, only a couple of MB.
Most static meshes are walls and columns.

I’m attaching the top primitives and textures statistics to see if any of you can point to something obviously wrong. This is very helpful for future readers as well.

Primitives

Textures

:pray: thanks in advance!

I could be wrong but it looks like your top 6-7 textures add up to nearly 3GB alone. If you’d like to send me your project simply zip up the folder in Documents/Fortnite Projects and send it to me via DM or Discord.

@HalcyonKnight96 Could be, yes, but raw without size limitations and/or compression.

Here’s the result of a test I did. My map is modular, so I removed all modules but one.
Each module is 3200x3200 UE units. My MVP map consists of 5 modules (the one from this thread).

Only one of these 3200x3200 modules’s results:

As you can see, yes, all my raw assets are large, but the baked project is only 36MB
So adding back the 4 missing modules (which btw, I chose the most complex module for this test on purpose) would add up to something like 200MB? 250MB to be pessimistic?

I believe the problem lies within UEFN’s build pipeline, trying to upload all the assets before configurations, instead of sticking to the compression and max texture size configs.

Hi @NabuX, UEFN currently uploads source versions of all assets to be cooked/baked in the cloud. So you’re right in saying that we upload the assets without compression/texture size configs but this is by design.

Per another member of the team:

If you’re importing massive textures and using LOD to always downsize them when cooked, then downsizing the source and reimporting would reduce the source asset size

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Reducing the size of my assets in UE5 before migrating to UEFN, using this tool Texture Resize SC DEFINITELY reduced the project size.

I downgraded all textures to 512 as a dramatic first test, no need to reduce them that much in size, but look at this screenshot, beatiful: (119MB upload size, full project)

Thanks for your help! :pray:

2 Likes

Woo! Great to hear! Hopefully in the future we’ll have ways to do this in editor but I’m glad that worked for you.

A great thing to know is the ‘By Package’ option in Project Size, that lets you see the size of each cooked asset! It’s under the Settings menu in the top right

1 Like

I’m encountering this and then the log shows a bunch of warnings for assets that I do not have in project. I think this is a bug. I have identifited the mesh that triggers it and it goes back when I delete that mesh. If i bring the mesh causing the bug back into the editor and push my changes it shows in the game. However, if i close my editor and reopen it and push again i get the bug. If i keep it open it is fine.

This really helps! I didn’t know it was an option.

I guess the last thing to add would be how it all relates to in-game memory usage? and what the 100,000 means and how much each asset/device uses, etc.

That would be really really helpful to plan the island size in advance.

1 Like

When you run the Memory Calculation now, it shows you the top 100 most ‘expensive’ objects in terms of memory in the Message Log, along with their contribution to that 100,000 limit.

2 Likes

The solution was not solved. I was NOT able to reduce my project size at all, by reducing the texture sizes to 512 x 512 mb. Prior they were 1024 x 1024 mb. I am struggling here and really could use some assistance with my project please!

@UnrealVerseGuru @HalcyonKnight96 @610Sailor @Dig_Squid @NabuX

Screenshot 2023-10-20 201653

Brough in uasset from fab marketplace UEFN, Error says project size too large, but the project size doesnt seem to reflect that it is too large when looking at all my assets.