Tinted Glass issues with more than one layer

Hi all,

Would love some expertise here if anyone has a moment!

In the images below, you can see the tinted glass from the other side of the vehicle, rendered over the top of the reflection of the glass in the foreground. Is there some setting I need to check to fix this? I feel like I have tried everything :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve looked into a number of glass tutorials to check for different ways to approach it and I keep ending up with the same result. Any input would be very much appreciated!

Looks like sorting order issue, try fiddling with the Translucency Sort Priority

translucency-sort-priority.png

Hi Andreas,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I tried playing around with this, however since the model is all a single mesh, I don’t have the granular control over each piece of glass.

I did some more digging and I am wondering if this is a limitation of reflections/opacity at this time? I know the following article is referring to raytracing, but thinking it could be related??

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/architectural-and-design-visualization/1819053-translucency-not-showing-on-reflections

That’s unrelated. What you have is a very typical translucency sorting issue.

Okay, great to know.

In that case – since it is all one mesh, is there anything that I can do to fix it?

And if not and I go back and make the windows separate meshes, won’t changing the sorting mean that it only works from one direction? Or am I misunderstanding?

The way I assume it would need to happen is that the windows behind would be priority 0. The ones in the foreground, priority 1. If I spin the camera to the opposite side though, I imagine they will be backwards again?

No

If you set a fixed sort priority, yes. Luckily that is not necessary as individual meshes are automatically sorted by distance so all you have to do is break the windows off into their own meshes and the engine will figure it out.

Brilliant. Thank you!