Tile Map Tile Tearing

I’m currently working on making a top down rpg with a style similar to old school final fantasy games. I handle the movement by getting the next tile position of where the character wants to move and lerping between that and his current position. This is working out great however I have ran into one issue and I’m not really sure where to begin troubleshooting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As you can see in my gif here:

Also appears in this one, ignore my permanent ray casts was testing collision :stuck_out_tongue:

When moving I get random tearing/lines appearing in the tile map. Any ideas what could be causing this? My tiles are 24x24, my character at the moment lerps in .35 seconds, and my ortho camera size is 512. Like I said I’m not really sure where to start or what could be the cause so I greatly appreciate any help or push in the right direction.

Are those pieces of geometry that are snapped together? Are they perfectly aligned?

Are all of those tiles from one texture sheet? It looks like mipping, where the edge of the polygon gets the texture of something next to it because the resolution has decreased. You can test this by disabling mip maps in the texture, but that isn’t great for performance I think. Also try “Disable Streaming” which is more reasonable. Let us know what happens.

Right click on your tile set and choose Condition from the menu, it will dialate the borders of each tile into some extra padding to avoid texture sampling artifacts.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

1 Like

Wow that worked perfectly! And was super easy! Thanks for the fast response :slight_smile:

there is no “right click” on tile neither in map nor in tileset…

Here in 2019: This works, but it would be nice if it could also set up the tileset with the same collisions as I have had to redo it 5 times now and it takes 1 hour every time

If you have a repetitive task to do, try making a blutility to do it for you :smiley: