Thumbnail turns black in forward rendering

ok so for a third time trying to comment ;p fixed but not fixed, after re-opening the project thumbnails that were rendered properly are black again

I could fix it, by changeing the engine scalability forth and back

How exactly do you change the engine scalability forth and back? Can you say in terms of the Project Settings name, or required INI settings? .

The only effect i get when setting foliage to low, yielding 11k shader compilation … :wink: Btw in your screenshot mesh thumbnails are still dark.

Okay so there is actually an improvement, after you selected thumbnails. for the tip showpixel.

203332-improvement.jpg

Yeah, but compared to the darkness before, its much brighter, at least so good that i can work with it. Hope, they gonna fix this soon, its a weird bug.

idd - why does this say fixed in the issue tracker when clearly , it isn’t ?

Go into Thumbnail Editing mode (a button in the lower right corner of content browser) and in editing mode just leftclick the black thumbnails to fix them.

For anyone affected by this issue. It was fixed with the 4.17 release.

UE-42376

If you are working in 4.16 source you can integrate the fix by following the link above and clicking on the GitHub link.

Best of luck.

Not quite fixed yet. They are now… bearable at best and not completely black.

I gave up on the forward shader long time ago. True, it boosts performance, BUT:

• buffer visualization doesn’t work at all (which is like one of the most important tools for me)
  • translucent materials look pretty bad
  • colours are off
  • extremely dark thumbnails

Yeah, I am working on a VR project and using the Forward Renderer with MSAA and it has really given us some troubles with the hard shimmering of objects, as well as the black thumbnails, and other issues related solely to the Forward Rendering option.

A couple of tricks I used to mitigate the shimmering was to reduce the normal intensity of my materials, and increase the min roughness. Still though, we have lost a good bit of awesome details due to the reduction of the normal maps…It just makes you wonder how Epic was able to get Robo Recall to look the way it does, and I am sure they use similar tricks to what I just mentioned.

216589-kustom.jpg

Afraid that doesnt clear the issue either. As you can see in screenshot I did actually do the “edit thumbnail” thing… left clicked in the thumbnail. Rotate it around a bit even. and clicked “done editing” … still dark as darth vader’s toilet bowl.

It was not fixed.
It is not fixed in 4.26.2.
Please mark it as not fixed.

Was having this issue last night but when I changed the Project setting :

Engine->Rendering Overrides->Force all skinned meshes to recompute tangents = True

It went back to normal