The Real Time Capture option on the Sky Light causes significant stuttering.

Hello there,

I have a small issue but one that might be hard to fix. The Sky Light’s Real Time Capture option is causing some significant lag on my engine.

I don’t really know how all this 99%/1% FPS business works yet, so I can’t provide exactly how bad it is, but what I can say is that on my old computer (this being a used office computer from 2012) with a 1050Ti, I’ve never noticed an issue. On that PC, the latest version I can remember having was UE5.3, or 5.3.1. Also, in that version of the engine and the one I’m using now, this being 5.3.2 (5.4 has too little plugin support as it’s very recent, so I didn’t pick it), that option would be enabled by default. And it has been now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the PC I upgraded to. A 12th Gen i5, RX 7600 PC with some blistering fast 32GB 6000MHz RAM. You can find the full spec list at the bottom of this topic. I did however build it on my own, so there’s a risk that any graphical issue could be an issue with the PC itself. But assuming that I didn’t mess up my PC (so far it works just as expected), the chosen specs mean that it almost definitely can’t be a weak specs issue. Ultimately, this worked on my old 1050Ti.

Let me show you my full specs list and my installed plugins. (And this is on an almost blank project of the Simulation type.)

PC SPECS:

CPU: i5-12600KF
RAM: 32GB 6000MHz
GPU: RX 7600 8GB

ENGINE SPECS:

VERSION: UE5.3

INSTALLED PLUGINS:
Metahuman, Quixel Bridge, DLC in Blueprints V3, Ultimate Pack, Network Clock, Insta Deform Component, HDR10+ Gaming Plug-in, AMD FSR3 + AMD FSR FG for 5.3, NVIDIA DLSS for 5.3

MODIFIED .INI FILES: NO

I’ll leave you guys to cook.
Any responses would be great. I’m really not looking forward to manually baking the sky every time it changes time of day.

Thank you!

I doubt the gfx or cpu in this build can handle any scene from the lateat trash they pump out claiming to be a working engine.

You have to understand the Epic mentality:
Get an I999 processor (that doesn’t exist) and a RTX9999 TI Super Pro (which also doesn’t exist) or GTFO.

This is particularly true when working, since with 8GB of vram you can barely get the engine running and loading the textures it needs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As a solution, turn on scalability settings, turn them down I would say to medium or even probably less.
You can probably work the editor then, even though you’ll never get to see what the product looks like at its “best” (which is arguable anyway since epic seems to like to tell people to eff off and get a better gfx even when the last one has just released :wink:)

Sorry about not replying for a long time, I completely forgot about this post. But alrighty. Good to know it’s not going to be a painful fix at least. I’ll try turning down the scalability settings to something fair.

You’ve answered my question and I don’t want to hold you back for longer but just out of interest, what does the Real Time Capture setting even do?

Well, lots of things.

The skysphere bounces light.
When your source (the sun) moves, your light bounces should all change.

Having the light change dynamically as things move requires the runtime capture option.

Thats 1 of the aspects of it anyway. There is far more to it than just that in practice since it sweeps across the spectrum from bounces to whatver light mode the new “standard” settings may use…

Do you need it on?
Depends on what you are working. If you turned it on, then probably there was a reason or something not looking quite right…

I’m working on a transport sim where preferably the time of day should be able to change. It’s fine, I only started making it 2 months ago, so it’s nothing to worry about.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.