This friday, paid mods were introduced as a new option for the modders of Skyrim. They could add a “pay what you want” option or just charge for a price for the mod. The mod author gets 25% and steam/bethesda get the other 75%.
This has caused a massive backslash, completely insane. The execution of the idea was absolutely ABYSMAL, with mods that were free now wanting to become paid, and the fear of mod dependencies being broken.
Gabe Newell himself went to reddit to discuss the mod debacle, https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/33uplp/mods_and_steam/ . Use the Gabe profile to find the answers, in some cases they were downvoted to hell, so they are at the bottom.
Here you can read the important ones a bit easier: http://kotaku.com/gabe-newell-optimistic-paid-mods-will-be-a-win-for-ever-1700219463.
I find it interesting to do a dicussing here, in a place where its not universally hated and the second coming of Hitler. In fact, this is the whole monetization system of Unreal Tournament 4, wich is a much better implementation of this system.
I have some pros/cons i think of this:
- Modders can earn something with their hard work
- More companies would want to add good mod support, as it gives them direct money
- Mods that were free are now paid(in skyrim case)
- HUGE problems with copyright and stealing
- The enormous community backslash
I find it a shame that it turned up as another massive internet hatetrain, with no brakes. The idea isnt bad by itself, but needs a lot of tweaking in Steam to work.